DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   GL2 footage looking a little red. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/26928-gl2-footage-looking-little-red.html)

Joshua Wachs June 2nd, 2004 01:32 PM

GL2 footage looking a little red.

I just taped some interview footage of a single subject in a conference room. I have lighting on him from a Rifa Light and a Tota Light (both Lowel) and I am noticing the skin on the face is a bit redish. While I know I can color correct afterwards, I was wondering what I could do during the interview to improve this, or if I'm just messing up some setting.

Thanks!

Frank Ladner June 2nd, 2004 01:37 PM

Hi Joshua!

What you could do before shooting the footage is adjust your Custom Presets. You get to the presets through the menu. There it allows you to adjust the saturation, tilt the color more toward green or red, adjust soft/sharpness, and adjust setup level.

I would turn down the saturation a bit. Also manually white balance against a white sheet of paper.

Note: After you have adjusted your custom presets, you must push the custom presets button on the left side of the camera. It' s on when you see CP in your viewfinder.

Hope this helps!

,Frank

Joshua Wachs June 2nd, 2004 01:50 PM

Frank... thanks for the quick and helpful reply.

One quick clarification question:

"I would turn down the saturation a bit. Also manually white balance against a white sheet of paper."

I'm doing the white balance and that's helping but I don't see where I would change the saturation.

Thanks!

Ken Tanaka June 2nd, 2004 02:42 PM

Were overhead fluorescent lights also operating in that conference room? If so, you may have picked up a bit too much of their blue/green in your white balance. Also remember that in order to pull an accurate white balance the white card must (a) fill the frame, (b) be reflecting the light against which you want to balance, and (b) be properly exposed in the camera.

As big of a posterior discomfort as it is, this is why so many experienced videographers schlep a small, properly calibrated production monitor with them. It's the best way to judge such matters before pressing the big red button.

Bill Hardy June 2nd, 2004 05:17 PM

White balancing by putting a piece of white paper or a card closely in front of the cam with an attached light source or even your own nearby light source and then videotaping a further away subject that is affected by room/other light is a big mistake. I white balanced while standing next to my halogen light set up and the footage turned out very yellowish due to the incandescent lights in the chapel as I tried to shoot subjects further away. I should have stood next to the subjects as I white balanced instead of doing it next to my halogen light on its stand.

Frank Ladner June 2nd, 2004 07:26 PM

Joshua: Sorry about the delay! I had to get home from work and actually look at the camera. Couldn't think of how to explain it off the top of my head. :-)

Anyhow, here's how you do it:

MENU -> CSTM PRESET -> and you should get four options:

-Color Gain (what I was calling 'saturation')
-Color Phase
-Sharpness
-Setup Level

Joshua Wachs June 3rd, 2004 11:51 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Frank Ladner : Joshua: Sorry about the delay! I had to get home from work and actually look at the camera. Couldn't think of how to explain it off the top of my head. :-)

Anyhow, here's how you do it:

MENU -> CSTM PRESET -> and you should get four options:

-Color Gain (what I was calling 'saturation')
-Color Phase
-Sharpness
-Setup Level -->>>

Ahh, yes, that's what I got.

Thanks all!