GL2's photo power - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old June 7th, 2004, 01:05 PM   #16
Major Player

Corey,

If you notice, the wedding pic is taken handheld, and with daylight. What size are you making them in photoshop?

John
John DeLuca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2004, 07:43 PM   #17
Regular Crew

My fault...I made the wedding pic 1000X1500 and the Frog 1488X1128...Like I said, it is clear, that the 6 megapixel sized down is a knotch and a half sharper than my frog or dog pictures...But one must consider the difference in cameras when comparing the two. I still maintain that the GL2, while not built to take still pictures, and shouldn't be purchased for said purpose...But can still create very high quality photographs that one might not expect if they read some of the things said about the feature on this website.

Another thing to consider is that my sharpness was less than halfway when I shot the photos.
Old June 7th, 2004, 11:01 PM   #18
Major Player

***I still maintain that the GL2, while not built to take still pictures, and shouldn't be purchased for said purpose...But can still create very high quality photographs that one might not expect if they read some of the things said about the feature on this website***

That I completely agree with, and im sure its just fine for pics online. I completely misunderstood what you where trying to do with it. I like the frog photo alot, the subject is composed in one of the three quaters of the frame(not dead center), and there is a nice rim light on the frog. My only advice would have been to fill the frame alittle more, but it really doesnt matter, the photo is great. Try some b/w stills on the GL2 aswell, I had some good ones myself.

John
Old June 8th, 2004, 06:45 AM   #19
Major Player

I am really impressed with the frog shot, although my few attempts to take pics with my GL2 were not as impressive to me.

http://homepage.mac.com/bhardy3/PhotoAlbum8.html

There is a pic of a duck on the water and one of two children in the host of video frame shots here. These were taken a few years ago.

I wonder if they have improved the photo quality of the GL2 since then. Or perhaps the grain in my pics comes from too much light. There were reports of folks being disappointed with the photo quality of the GL2 years ago also. I simply decided to use my 2 MP digital cam for pics, but perhaps I will check out my second GL2 I bought a month ago to see if there is an improvement over my old GL2.
Bill Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2004, 06:53 AM   #20
Regular Crew

I'll do that John...I'm not much of a fan of B/W for nature though...I really love color! Thanks for the advice on the frog picture...I agree it has a bit of empty space, but another minus is that the GL2 doesn't have Macro...Also, check out my moth pictures, those turned out well too I think.
Old June 9th, 2004, 08:42 AM   #21
Regular Crew

http://woffester.deviantart.com/gallery/

John...I actually happened to try it out and I got very pleasing results...
Old June 9th, 2004, 09:29 AM   #22
New Boot

No to hijack this thread but, if you can get shallow DOF like that on the GL2 photo (Corey's frog picture), why can't you get that shallow DOF in video? Is it a different CCD?
Michael Le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2004, 10:59 AM   #23
Major Player

If you dont already know, play around with the shadows and highlights in photoshop CS. Take them right to the point where they start to burn out for a richer look. Great pics btw.

John
Old June 9th, 2004, 11:02 AM   #24
Major Player

Its the F stop michael.

John
Old June 9th, 2004, 11:24 AM   #25
New Boot

I know the GL2 can get F1.6. That's pretty wide-open there and so the DOF should be nice and shallow. But it's not... for video at least. Is there a reason why you can get smaller DOF using the photo function than the video? It's the same camera and lens. Am I missing something?
Michael Le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2004, 11:36 AM   #26
Warden

Read the article on DOF in our DV Info library.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2004, 09:49 PM   #27
Regular Crew

Michael, for those pictures I was at 2.0, and 720 shutterspeed...It took quite a bit of playing around before I got that shallow DOF, and I usually have to wait till dusk so it's light enough to light my subject, but dark enough to the point that I can keep the iris as wide open as it'll let me...

The photo mode is actually less prone to a shallow DOF because the iris will only go down to 2.0, even at 1/60th, and the shutter speed up to 720, so the lighting has to be just right...That DOF is totally possible in the video mode (with possibly even better results)...But at that zoomed level, its hard to control the camera, especially in run n' gun style film making.

For the photos I have on my deviant art page, I only did one thing in photoshop, and that was change the gamma curve to an S shape...In some pictures, I did this process twice, or three times...One on top of the other. This really makes the pictures a bit more breathtaking and filmic. You can replicate this process easily in After Effects...Just make sure you have good source footage.

Finally, thanks for the compliments, John.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders