DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Mounting a Wireless receiver on GL2 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/27413-mounting-wireless-receiver-gl2.html)

Jeff Toogood June 11th, 2004 07:53 AM

Mounting a Wireless receiver on GL2

Just wondering how you guys are mounting wireless receivers on your GL2s?

I am thinking of getting a Sennheiser EW112P system and was wondering how to mount the receiver

Hank Freeman June 11th, 2004 09:31 AM

Excellent Topic

After having owned one of all possible available add-on brackets, I found the BRACKET1:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=284436&is=REG

Which holds 2 Sennheiser wireless receivers which I connect to a Beachtek.

The value to this unit is that it keeps the Hot shoe open, which i use for the VL3 light, holds more than 1 receiver and has still more room for devices. I slip one receiver over the vertical portion and 1 over the horizontal. I use some velcro to firmly attach the unit.

I think most folks consider a way to use a third party shoe mount of some kind and attach them to either the cameras mount or to a multiple shoe attachment. I did and gave up on that concept.

The Bracket1 attaches between the beachtek and the shoe for my tripod.

Jeff Toogood June 11th, 2004 11:19 AM

Looks good, but a little expensive for what you get. But I will keep it in mind.

Thanks

Graham Bernard June 11th, 2004 11:55 AM

I made/fashioned my own from Plastic Putty - resin - and an old "cold" accessory shoe.

Recently I've "clipped" it over the side hand strap. It works .. it's safe .. I know where it is too!

Grazie

Miguel Lombana June 11th, 2004 01:37 PM

Re: Mounting a Wireless receiver on GL2

<<<-- Originally posted by Jeff Toogood : Just wondering how you guys are mounting wireless receivers on your GL2s?

I am thinking of getting a Sennheiser EW112P system and was wondering how to mount the receiver -->>>

I have the Sennheiser kit, take a piece of hook/loop velcro (stuff that you have to press into each other, not the stick type) and put it on the top of the handle on the tape transport door.

Take a small tie wrap and secure the cover flap on the handle to keep it secure when you have the wireless mounted, yet loose enough that you can slide it back and out of the way to open the door when needed.

Mount the other piece of velcro to the wireless kit and make it so the antenna points to the front. Run the wire to the mic input or XLR box under the camera, dress your cables with tie wraps and go out and shoot.

One of these days I'll try to post some pics of my rigs just for this reason.

Miguel

Bob Harotunian June 16th, 2004 06:46 AM

We often use 2 wireless systems and attach both receivers using velcro to the GL2. One goes on the right side flat surface area and one lies flat on the top handle. This works fine for us, doesn't need any brackets, add additional weight and leaves the hotshoe free.
Bob

Miguel Lombana June 16th, 2004 07:54 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Bob Harotunian : We often use 2 wireless systems and attach both receivers using velcro to the GL2. One goes on the right side flat surface area and one lies flat on the top handle. This works fine for us, doesn't need any brackets, add additional weight and leaves the hotshoe free.
Bob -->>>

Bob I have a situation where I need to run 2 receivers, where on the right side are you mounting? On the handgrip or on the square portion by the focus ring? Also, how does that do for space, doesn't it really make for a tight fit on everything?

Miguel

Bob Harotunian June 16th, 2004 08:24 AM

Miguel,
I attach the receiver to the flat surface next to the focus ring. But, I should have mentioned that we use the WD58 WA lens that gives me the extra room. I use the Samson UM32 which is a lightweight receiver and with both receivers attached and antennas extended, everthing is accessible. I don't like the idea of carrying a receiver on my belt, for example, because I know I'll forget I'm attached to the camera. Too risky.

BTW, I think Samson makes an even smaller wireless called the Airline system or something like that. It might be even more compact.
Bob

Miguel Lombana June 16th, 2004 08:35 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Bob Harotunian : Miguel,
I attach the receiver to the flat surface next to the focus ring. But, I should have mentioned that we use the WD58 WA lens that gives me the extra room. I use the Samson UM32 which is a lightweight receiver and with both receivers attached and antennas extended, everthing is accessible. I don't like the idea of carrying a receiver on my belt, for example, because I know I'll forget I'm attached to the camera. Too risky.

BTW, I think Samson makes an even smaller wireless called the Airline system or something like that. It might be even more compact.
Bob -->>>

I also run the wide angle lens kit, I'll try your setup tonight, may save me the $$$ over having to get a bracket 1 or similar for the 2nd unit. An alternative that I was pondering was setting up the wireless kit on the b camera but the issue is that if the groom and minister are in different areas I am only going to record one audio signal if the other gets out of range. Mounting both to my camera makes for certain that where I am is where the transmitter is and I'm giong to get audio!

I'll let you know how it works out, hopefully with the same excellent resuts that you are getting.