XL1 vs. GL2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old June 15th, 2004, 12:24 AM   #1
Major Player

XL1 vs. GL2

Hi, I am comparing the XL1 to the GL2, and am wondering which camera you people would suggest.

My budget is $2000-3000 CDN, and based on what I've found on Ebay, that should be enough.

Also, are there any places other than Ebay that you would recommend for me to buy from? I'm hoping to own one of these at some point during the summer.

Thanks!

-Mark
Old June 15th, 2004, 03:24 AM   #2
RED Code Chef

Basically we can't tell you. Are you looking at the newer XL1S
or the older XL1?

It all depends on a lot of things. Your question has been asked a
lot of times already so please take the time to look around the
board and do a search.

It mainly depends on:

- budget
- what you are going to be shooting mostly
- what other equipment you will need

Both camera's produce excellent images. With both camera's
you will probably need to invest in extra equipment (at least
a tripod, filter set and larger battery usually). But if you want to
make "movies" you will probably need extra support gear,
lighting gear etc. etc.

So you will at least have to give us a thorrow description of
what you are going to do with all of this. Then you need to look
at what options you NEED and what will be NICE TO HAVE. Then
weigh that off against cost and other things you will need to buy
and the perfect choice will automatically present itself to you if
you've done it good and fair.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2004, 12:27 PM   #3
Major Player

Sorry, I should have looked more carefully for similar threads.

I am looking for the XL1 (not the XL1s), and as I said, my budget is somewhere between $2000 and 3000 in Canadian funds.

I have been requested by many people to help them make various videos this summer, and I am scheduled to tape three weddings and a family reunion, so I want something that will be reliable, high-quality and long-lasting.

For now, I will just need the basic equipment. Possible upgrades would include an external mic, battery, and filter. Buying those things would only happen when I have money to spare or I find that it is absolutely necessary.

A bigger project that I will be working on this summer is recording footage from a large gathering in Hamilton, Ontario that the youth group at my church is going to be a part of. I was asked to film, edit and burn DVD copies of the 5-day event, so a high-quality camera for that would be great.

I had previously planned on buying the XL1, but a very successful videographer told me that video quality is about the same, and that he would much rather use a GL2 than an XL1.

If anyone has any advice, suggestions, or personal experiences they can share, that would be great!

Thanks!

-Mark
Old June 15th, 2004, 12:39 PM   #4
Capt. Quirk

Someone here is selling a GL1 package for around $1300 USD. Tripods are really nice, and you will need a shotgun...
Old June 15th, 2004, 12:42 PM   #5
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Mark Utley :
For now, I will just need the basic equipment. Possible upgrades would include an external mic, battery, and filter. Buying those things would only happen when I have money to spare or I find that it is absolutely necessary.

I had previously planned on buying the XL1, but a very successful videographer told me that video quality is about the same, and that he would much rather use a GL2 than an XL1.

-Mark -->>>

I'm not an expert on the XL1s since I only have 2 GL2 units, however the person that shot my wedding had one of each and used the XL for primary cam work and roving and the GL for the B-roll.

I did all the post production and editing on my own event and can say that I had no problems at all matching up the 2 cameras.

NOW IMO, had I had a little extra cash, I would have purchased the XL1s and not GL2's. Only for the reason of interchangable lenses and accessories that are geared more towards the pro shooter.

It's hard to get stuff for the GL2 that makes it more "pro" such as shoulder mounts with battery adapters such as the Anton Bauer etc.

Not that this has discouraged me and made me want to sell my GL's, trust me they aren't going anywhere, but there are times that I wish I had gone in that direction.

Another factor that I dwell on from time to time but was again a major cost factor was the Sony 2100 for it's lower light performance. I shot with a Sony shooter last weekend and found that my GL2 was in high gain (12db) for the entire wedding reception and his Sony was running 3 to 6db if it needed gain!

All that aside.... get the GL's, get a new one if you can from the states and take advantage of the rebate ;-) and if you feel that you are getting really good and starting to make money then get an XL, that's my plan and makes sense.

Regards,
MIGUEL
Old June 16th, 2004, 04:58 AM   #6
Wrangler

Unless you need the pro featrures of the XL1, probably better to go with a GL2.

The shotgun mentioned in an earlier post is a microphone, not for the father of the bride to ensure the groom does right by his daughter (that is from another time). And a good wireless mic is probably a better investment than a shotgun mic for weddings.

Before you start, learn about wedding videography - it is not a trivial task to go a good job of it, and it is work to do it right. Keep in mind taht if you are shooting a wedding, you really do not have time to party hardy if you are going to do justice to the effort. Andf if it is a free for friends, you are giving a gift with a $700-$1500 value, or more in some venues.
Old June 17th, 2004, 09:41 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Here's my opinion from a wedding video perspective, at least. I started with one XL1s and one GL2. I shot with the XL1s and my wife with the GL2. I shot exactly one wedding with my XL1s and immediately sold it and got another GL2. For what I need the GL2 is plenty. Don't get me wrong, the XL1s is an awesome and very capable camera, but after 8 hours or so, that XL1s feels like an anchor if you are handheld. For a film you may feel differently.
Brad Carrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2004, 11:29 AM   #8
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

I have both cameras. Just briefly, I largely concur with Brad's remarks. The GL2 is a tremendous value on a price/performance basis. Add a WD-58H wide adapter to it and you'll be able to handle most imaging situations.

The core value of the XL1S is its modularity. If you're doing scripted, dramatic work and need pinpoint lensing controls the XL1S' 16x Manual Servo lens has no peers in the prosumer range. The MA-200 is also indispensable for both its XLR audio adapters and its BNC video-out facility (for external production monitors).

Chris often remarks that the best camera for -you- is the one that feels best in your hands. That is, the one that you feel good using and that you feel you can master. The GL2, with a few accessories, is a very good pick for wedding and event work, as well as for more casual shooting.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2004, 03:33 PM   #9
Regular Crew

I would agree with Ken. I own a GL2 and have played with the XL1 a bit. Unless you're going to add or subtract things down the line, the little GL2 goes a long way. It's also a better "general" prosumer camera if you are planning on doing other things down the line.

But, if you think you're going to do indie films or documentaries then the XL1 with it's attendant splendor of (not inexpensive) add ons is the way to go.

Have you thought about / do you have the software? That's an important and again, not inexpensive part of this.....
Roger Golub is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders