Need advice for shoe lighting. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old June 20th, 2004, 08:13 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Need advice for shoe lighting.

I mostly do weddings and now have some extra cash for a good light. I use the DM50 and need the light to allow for using both. Is there an additional shoe mount that will allow both?

What other alternatives do I have?

I have $250 to spend what do you recommend? I made a rhyme. ;-)

Thank you so much guys!
Joe Cirino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2004, 03:58 AM   #2
Wrangler

SIMA offers an accessory grip (SVB-1) for around $10 that privides 2 (cold) shoe mounts on the side. It attaches to the tripod mount on the cmacorder bottol leaving the top shoe available. I've seen it at BestBuy and other outlets.

You can og up in price from there with othe rmakes/models. Check ads in the back of magazines like Videomaker.
Old June 21st, 2004, 11:32 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Search GL2 forum

Do a search on "Hot Shoe" and/or "accessory shoe" - there are a few other products available that offer 2 and 3 cold shoes. However, I have not seen one that provides a double hot shoe.
David Yuen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2004, 12:23 PM   #4
Regular Crew

ok, so if I cant get a double Hot shoe, what lighting system would you recomend for a wedding reception setting? I am guessing I would have to use the mic in the hot shoe and find some additional cold shoe so that I can attach a powered lighting system.
Old June 21st, 2004, 01:32 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I don't do weddings

I can only advise you on cold/hot shoes. If you want keep using your DM-50, you'll have to go with one of the brackets that will take away your tripod capability.

If you do a search at B&H Photo on "camcorder bracket", you'll see some variations.
Old June 21st, 2004, 05:10 PM   #6
Regular Crew

so your saying that no one has devised a contraption that can allow for Canons hot shoe and additional cold shoes that can also accomdate a tripod? Sounds like a good market to me...

Thanks
Old June 21st, 2004, 09:46 PM   #7
Regular Crew

No hotshoe extensions

If anybody would have built it, I would have thought Canon would have with their DM-50 and VL-3 that both utilize the advanced accessory shoe, but no. Apparently not. I've searched this forum high and low and nobody seems to have found one.
Old June 21st, 2004, 10:24 PM   #8
Regular Crew

I guess I may have to sell the DM50
Old June 22nd, 2004, 05:35 AM   #9
Obstreperous Rex

To the best of my knowledge, there is no such thing as a double hot-shoe adapter for the GL2. There's just no demand for it. Only you and me and maybe twenty other people would ever buy one.

I'd say your best bet is to sell the DM-50 and use some other stereo mic, such as the Sennheiser MKE-300, plugged into the GL2's audio input mini-jack and mounted on an external cold-shoe bracket. Then use the GL2's advanced accessory shoe for the VL-3 light. That's how I'd do it.

By the way, the DM-50 really holds its value well. You should sell it for no less than 20% under what you paid for it.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2004, 06:08 AM   #10
Regular Crew

As far as I'm concerned the VL-3 is a pretty worthless item. The amount of light it produces compared to even an inexpensive external light is poor. Admittedly I'm spoiled with my Frezzi Mini-fill but at weddings I almost always need every bit of what it offers. I'd say keep the mic and save for a good external light. However, if it works for you I think Chris has the best idea.
Brad Carrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2004, 08:12 AM   #11
Major Player

Cool-Lux makes a hot shoe adapter that can hold a mic and light. That's what I use. B&H sells it and I think the model number is M-3000.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=NavBar&A=search&Q=&ci=3686

Save your money and get the Frezzi Micro-Fill. It's dimmable from 35W, tiny and lightweight. Works perfect with the GL2 and won't mess up your white balance.
Bob
Bob Harotunian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2004, 04:12 PM   #12
Wrangler

For weddings be careful of light. Use maybe 10-20 watts, more will blind and irritate people, and 10-20 watts is adequate for people within 10 feet of the camcorder.

The Cool Lux models are nice, profesisonal. Ther are other models as well.

The SIMA product I mentioned may meet your need.

Beaware of dimmers on high wattage lamps. As they dim, the color balance shifts.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders