GL2<GL1 In some respects at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old July 23rd, 2002, 08:22 AM   #1
Clif Anderson

GL2<GL1 In some respects

I saw the GL2 at Fry's yesterday for the first time. The VCR button lables are between the buttons rather than on the buttons. The GL1 button labels are on the buttons themselves, a more ergonomic arrangement in my opinion.

I wonder what other features of the GL1 might have been cut? I gather the viewfinder is smaller. I know these are minor points, but, as a GL1 owner, I would like to know what I would miss on a GL2. Any other disadvantages?
Old July 23rd, 2002, 08:41 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

A smaller EVF with the same 180K pixel count as before equals a higher viewfinder display resolution relative to the GL1. A glass diopter magnifies the display (as on the GL1) so that the displays appear to be the same size. This is covered in greater detail in Frank Granovski's thread on the viewfinder, here on this forum.

I really can't think of any disadvantages. Perhaps one, the switch on the back is now for card or tape operation instead of frame movie or normal movie mode. Frame mode is now accessed from the menu, but you can assign it to the custom key on the side of the camera.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2002, 03:02 PM   #3
Wrangler

> A smaller EVF with the same 180K pixel count as before equals a higher viewfinder display resolution relative to the GL1.

Are you sure? Seems to me that the image resolution of a digital display is going to be a function of pixel count, assuming both displays work from the same field of view. While putting the same 180k pixels on a smaller LED will have more lines per mm, it will have the same number of pixels per video scan line, thus the same video resolution.

(This neglects an effects of EVF lenses and and display surfaces that could lower hte modulation transfer function..)
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders