audio calibration using GL2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old August 15th, 2009, 12:17 PM   #1
Regular Crew

audio calibration using GL2

I posted this on the audio forum and only got 1 reply, so thought it may be more product specific to post here. Can anyone tell me the right way to calibrate audio using a GL2 and a Sound Devices MixPre? I have AT 8202 pads which will reduce the input in settings from -10. -20 & - 30 db. and a cable made by Front End Audio for me to take it into the camera.

What is the correct setup and procedure? Thanks much!
Bill Spearman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2009, 04:41 PM   #2
Wrangler

These are general observations. I have not used the MixPre you have.

For best S/N ratio in the GL2, use the MIC ATT or line level setting for recording audio.
However, that assumes your mixer output a nice, quiet signal that can drive the GL2 audio input.

For highest quality sound use manual level control if you have the ability to ride the levels as you shoot. While the automatic audio level control is not bad for what it is, it still can convolute the dynamic range of the audio - if that is important to what you are shooting.

Use what ever pad (10,20, 30 dB) you need to match the MixPre output to the audio input level on the GL2 and maintain the head room you need to avoid clipping on peaks.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders