DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   What the heck is the attenuator? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/2834-what-heck-attenuator.html)

Marco Leavitt July 24th, 2002 06:22 AM

What the heck is the attenuator?

Can anyone tell me what the attenuator does? The GL1 manual tells me sometimes it should be on and sometimes it should be off when using an external mike, but it doesn't say why. We're running a Sennheiser shotgun mike (sorry, don't know model) with a K6 power module through a studio 1 XLR adapter. No matter what volume level is selected on the Studio 1, the sound comes out very low with lots of background hiss. It's almost as if there is some kind of override inside the camera that keeps the audio set to the same low level. So far, we've kept the attenuator off. Should it be on? Since we're renting the microphone, we haven't had as much time to experiment with the settings as I would have liked. When played back through a television, the sound does sound pretty crisp, except for all that noise. Is the noise actually on the recording, or is it a product of having to turn the volume all the way up on the television? Our sound engineer seems to think we're going to be able to boost the volume digitally without all that noise. I'm hoping he's right, but I wouldn't mind a second opinion about this.

Bill Ravens July 24th, 2002 07:03 AM

the attenuator is used to select between line level and mic level input voltage. with att on, you get line level, with it off you get mic level.

Marco Leavitt July 24th, 2002 08:25 AM

attenuator

Thanks. Since going through the Studio 1, does that mean I want line level? I don't think it boosts the sound any. It doesn't have an internal power supply.

Bill Ravens July 24th, 2002 08:33 AM

not sure which model you have. The PRO version allows you to select either line level or mic level output.

Marco Leavitt July 24th, 2002 08:48 AM

attenuator question

I've got the pro version. With the mike going directly into the Studio 1, would it be better to select line and turn the attenuator on or select mike and turn it off?

Bill Ravens July 24th, 2002 09:03 AM

I don't really know, but, I'd be inclined to select line level at the Studio 1. That way, the Studio 1 provides the amplification and noise level is lower out of the Studio 1.

Marco Leavitt July 24th, 2002 09:49 AM

attenuator

Thanks again.

normbaits July 24th, 2002 10:31 AM

Do not set the Studio to line level. That box acts as a balanced wiring adapter for camcorders. It does not do anything else. You are right, there is no internal power to it, it is strickly passive. The Line Level on the Studio 1 is strickly for when the signal that comes to the box is LINE level, a mixer, your mic is certainly not line level so if you switch the Studio 1 to line level you will not be able to hear anything. Keep the Studio 1 to mic. As for the GL1, there is no need to keep the attenuation on in the camera. The signal coming from the Studio 1 is mic, and when attenuated should be pretty quiet if not completely muted. Again since no line levels are being delt with here, keep your camera's Attenuation off always. If you ever need to feed a mixer's out to your camera, use the Line Level pad that is in the Studio 1, you dont have to touch the camera's audio ever. Hope this helps.

Don Palomaki July 24th, 2002 02:58 PM

Some points to ponder:

The MIC ATT setting is used in loud venues and with hot mics. It reduces the mic input jack sensitivity by 20 dB from -55 dBV to -35 dBV. It does NOT allow line level. Consumer line level is -10 dB, about 0.32 volts while -35 dBV is 0.018 volts, a big difference. If feeding the GL1 in camcorder mode from a mixer, be sure the ouput is set to mic level, or use an attenuating adapter.

The MIC ATT setting also reduces the efffective noise floor of the GL1 mic input preamps by about 20 dB. So if you can, it is usually better to use MIC ATT setting and a hotter input form the mic, e.g., running the Beachtek or Studio One adapter at a higher setting.

The basic Studio One and Beachtek XLR adapters do NOT provide gain. They can only reduce the signal level.

Using the LINE setting reduces the signal to roughly mic level for use with a mic input on a camcorder.

Note that for audio dub purposes the GL1 has a LINE and LINE ATT setting. The LINE ATT setting provides 10 dB of attenuation. (From what I read, not many folks use that capability.)

Marco Leavitt July 25th, 2002 05:51 AM

attenuator

Thanks much everyone. I must confess though, I'm more confused than ever on what settings I should be using on the Studio 1 and inside the camera. :)

Don Palomaki July 25th, 2002 06:17 AM

In summary, try MIC ATT, with the Studio One set to mic input and the level control at or near max. Adjust the Studio One level down if the recorded auido is too hot or show evidence of clipping/distortion or the noise level increases during quiet portions of the recording.

Marco Leavitt July 25th, 2002 06:27 AM

Will give it a try.

Michael Westphal July 26th, 2002 01:47 PM

one more Studio 1 tip

If you are using only one mic into the Studio 1, and in fact have the Studio 1 set to Mono, then it's important to set the volume on BOTH channels! i.e. do not turn the empty channel to ZERO. It will affect the volume of the hot channel. This is documented in the Studio 1 "Manual" but it's non-intuitive and easy to forget.

Marco Leavitt July 26th, 2002 02:00 PM

Yeah, this one had us tearing out our hair for a while. It's unrelated to our current problem, however.

Lee Sharp October 30th, 2009 08:44 PM

Recording levels confirmation

Hey again,

Did a shoot once more levels were fine but I thought Id run this by the group

when reference level is -20 and peak is -12

I assume you want to be as close to the -12 end most of the time for a good strong signal, is there any level which it should not go below or aslong as the peaks are at -12 does th rest not matter so much covering the full dynamic range of the actors delivery?

Reason I ask I thought to myself, if one scene has talk then shouting, the shouting is gonna be the peak point and the talking is then gonna fall closer to the -20 area maybe less....

But then in another sequence where its all average talking you can whack up the levels so average talking is close to the peak area.... which can then be lowered in post to fit the general levels of all scenes (is this right?)

Any advice on this? Any point the signal should not drop below keeping in mind of shouting scenes where theres loud and quiet, also with PPM shouting peaking around 6ppm talking then averages around 4ppm or less.

Any opinion/advice welcomed :D!

S