I need a Mic to pick up the CAMERA GUY at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old July 5th, 2004, 10:43 PM   #1

I need a Mic to pick up the CAMERA GUY

HI GUYS,

I HAVE A GL-2, A DIRECTIONAL SHOTGUN MIC WHICH MOUNTS ONTOP OF THE GL-2, PLUGGED INTO AN XLR ADAPTOR ON MY BELT.

CAN ANYONE RECOMMEND A WAY TO RECORD MY VOICE FROM BEHIND THE CAMERA IF ASKING QUESTIONS DURING A DOCUMENTARY INTERVIEW?

A LAVALIER?
A HEADSET/MIC COMBO?

ANY SUGGESTIONS?

THANKS,
DAN
Old July 5th, 2004, 10:45 PM   #2

Recommend A Hard Wire Lavalier For Gl-2?

ONE MORE QUESTION... ANY RECOMMENDATIONS ON A GOOD BUT AFFORDABLE HARD-WIRE LAVALIER FOR THE GL-2? (I ALREADY HAVE AN XLR ADAPTOR)

THANKS,
DAN
Old July 5th, 2004, 10:55 PM   #3
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Dan,
The camera's internal mic will pick up the camera operator's voice, although it's not common, and rather distracting, to record the questioner during an interview.

You could also use a wired lav.

(Please kill the caps. They're pretty annoying.)

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2004, 10:58 PM   #4

sorry about the caps. thanks for the tips ken. if you would recommend a lavalier, which one might be a good buy?
Old July 5th, 2004, 11:03 PM   #5
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

For wired lavs I use Sony ECM-55B's. But you'll get quite a selection of recommendations and comments in our audio forum.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2004, 05:44 AM   #6
Capt. Quirk

I have found that the only thing the onboard mic will pick up clearly, is my voice. I had to get a shotgun to get the audio I wanted.
Old July 6th, 2004, 08:31 AM   #7
Old Boot

OK OK OK . .I love the onboard mic! . IMHO it is a very good mic for getting L A R G E full sounds . . I've whipped off me Senni stuff, put the mic into ATTenuation mode, left the levels to sort themselves out, result .. very clear BEAUTIFUL audio .. It is not a mic for All Seasons .. well this is true for any mic . . BUT do use a set of hreadphones to keep checking levels . . Then in Post I've all the waves I need . .

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2004, 10:29 PM   #8

thanks guys for the advice. i appreciate it.
i
Old July 14th, 2004, 11:10 AM   #9
Major Player

Similar setup advice

OK, Grazie, I need some help and respect your input based on your interchanges here and in the Vegas forum. Others please chime in also, I'm about to spend some serious money and need to make sure I'm not going down the wrong path.

I want to record biographical interviews. I think the GL2 has the image quality to do this like I want as long as I use a carefully planned and executed lighting setup (key, soft fill, backlight and background light). I'm very concerned about the GL2 sound capabilities though. I want to record these older folks ruminations and catch every grunt and inflection. Can a shotgun at 5-8 feet in a quiet setting do that or do I need a lav? I'd really like to record my exchange with them also which might or might not be edited out, so is that a second lav?

Can I do all this on the RCA plug input the GL2 provides or do I really need and XLR adapter for multiple mics? If so, shouldn't I really consider some other camera that already has built-in XLR capability?

And if I do need and XLR adapter for the GL2, what this about the MA-300 not providing balanced input even though it accepts XLR input. I don't get how that works.
Patrick King is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders