DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   GL2 vs VX2100 vs GS70 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/29224-gl2-vs-vx2100-vs-gs70.html)

Alex Chan July 18th, 2004 09:31 PM

GL2 vs VX2100 vs GS70

I have $2000US in budget and will get GL2 soon after reading a lot of review. But I still having comparsion the GL2 with two other 3CCD camera: Sony VX2100 and Panasonic GS70.

I have read some review saying VX2100 is very good in low light performance. Is GL2 low night performance not acceptable? Is it that bad?

Panasonic GS70 has 460K in each CCD and GL2 has 380K. Will both camera having not much different in video quality or Panasonic is better because having more pixel?

Thanks.

Aaron Koolen July 18th, 2004 09:35 PM

You'll get 1-2 more stops of light in the VX compared to the Gl2. Is that an issue? Only you know that. What are you mainly going to be shooting with the camera? I can't comment on the Panasonic.

One word of advice - play with them all. I was in the same decision phase as you about 1 1/2 years ago. VX or XM2 (PAL version of GL2). I played with a VX at the Sony store and knew right then and there that I didn't want to carry that heavy unbalanced brick around with me. Made the decision easier...well, made me then have to worry about XL1s or XM2 ;)

Aaron

Alex Chan July 18th, 2004 09:40 PM

Thanks Aaron.

so how much is 1-2 stops? Sorry I don't know anything about "stop". Is it lux?

I will be using the camera to shoot some short film and show it on the internet. Also I will shoot wedding and make it to DVD.

For the low light situation, I might sometime has to shoot something indoor with limit lights.

I read some review saying GL2 low lighting shooting is excellent but some said Sony is better, so I am confuse.

Graham Bernard July 19th, 2004 12:53 AM

Don't Get Tunnel Vision on Low-Light!

Can you hire both and do your own experiments? .. Only a thought . ..

What sold me on the XM2 was exactly Aaron's comment [ hullo Aaron! ] . . it was the actual "feel" and balance of the thing. The "buttons-to-fingers" also felt more natural too.

Low light? At the end of the day a decent lighting kit will kill this as being an issue .. You gonna do weddings? Well, you gonna need lighting anyway - see our most recent post about getting an VL3 3watt lamp .. should give you food for thought . .. BUT, if you are absolutlety positiviely sure you don't "need" lights then your decision is made for you . .. However the XM2 does come with a 20x zoom excellent for getting a frame of soemthing that would be outta reach of the Sony 16x (?) zoom. That last 4x can and does make all the difference . .. If you can't get close enough to your subject, a full 20x OPTICAL zoom is very powerful for those candid shots. We didn't even cover the excellent manual 2x audio channels of the XM2 . . so lots to consider . .you must balance all the "extras" on the XM2 compared to the "low-light" profile, which you can mostly cover by a 20watt light kit, which you may want anyway ! . . .

End of the day, have fun choosing and using . . Hey, you ARE talking 3CCDs in any event anyway. You will be blown away by the quality too, by either of these cammies . . .

Grazie

Alex Chan July 19th, 2004 11:52 AM

Thanks Graham.

The Panasonic GS70 consider as consumer level, why? It has 3CCD with 460K pixel. I guess is the lens not as good as GL2.

I think GL2 low light performance should be still acceptible and is good. So I mostly will pick up the GL2 instead of VX2100 because Sony is too expensive for me. $4500 Canadian Dollars. I found a place selling GL2 for $2650 Canadian, for almost $2000 less can have the similar video quality! Sony does has solid look outside but I think GL2 still solid even it is plastic.

Jeff Toogood July 19th, 2004 12:21 PM

I think the reason the GS70 isn't a direct comparison with the GL2 and the VX2100 has to do with the fact it only has 1/6" CCDs. Which are VERY small.

It will not do good in low light at all, plus I do recall reading that the image stabilization on the GS70 wasn't very good, plus I don't think you have the manual options that you would with the GL2 or the VX2100.

Graham Bernard July 19th, 2004 12:41 PM

Please think about a small light kit to go with your GL2 .. PAGight C6 system is what I've used for events . . Grazie

Bob Harotunian July 19th, 2004 06:40 PM

Graham is right. With either GL2 or VX200x at weddings, you'll need a camera light. VX200x can see better in the dark but still needs fill lighting for dimly lit receptions.

I find that I can get good images at receptions with the Frezzi at around 20W. I used a PagLight C6 last year but the Frezzi is dimmable from 35W, a big advantage over the PagLight.
Bob

Graham Bernard July 19th, 2004 11:14 PM

Bob?

Bob i don't understand your, "I used a PagLight C6 last year but the Frezzi is dimmable from 35W, a big advantage over the PagLight." - please explain .. . Grazie

Daniel Hollister July 20th, 2004 12:22 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Alex Chan : I found a place selling GL2 for $2650 Canadian, for almost $2000 less can have the similar video quality! Sony does has solid look outside but I think GL2 still solid even it is plastic. -->>>

WATCH OUT! there's a lot of places that have the GL2 (and other cameras, for that matter) at "unbelievable" prices. i would steer clear from many of them. for example, Broadway Photo (bwayphoto.com) is pretty grey-market. they import their cameras from overseas and often ship them without batteries, boxes, manuals, or anything except the camera. often customers don't even get the camera, or it arrives broken.

there are MANY MANY MANY places like this. i see more ads for places like this than i see for legit places.

think about it. if the GL2 is just over HALF the VX2100 is, but they are comparable cameras, why would the price difference be so different? more often than not, these excellent prices are really rip-offs or scams of some kind. check epinions.com or post around forums like this one about the dealer you plan on using.

Alex Chan July 20th, 2004 06:37 AM

But the store that I checked are in the main central of Toronto, is not from the internet and there are 3 stores on the street selling similar price. Even the most popular Henrys storey sell it for $2999 Canadian Dollars.

http://www.henrys.com

So other smaller store selling it little cheaper like $2800 or $2650, I don't think is grey market or used. I think maybe Canon want to push the sell before they release GL3.

Some of my friends told me to get it from ebay because they are cheaper with a lot of extras, even the VX2100 almost same price as GL2. But I don't trust those ebayer. Sound too good to be true.

Jeff Toogood July 20th, 2004 07:02 AM

He is correct, in Canada the GL2 is around $3000 whereas the VX2100 sells for $4500.

Makes it real easy in Canada to decide which one to buy.

Bob Harotunian July 20th, 2004 10:00 AM

Hi Graham,
The Paglight C6 is a nice light but you can't control the intensity without swapping out a bulb. The Frezzi is dimmable with a dial so you can control the exact intensity you need. Hope that answers your question.
Bob

Alex Chan July 20th, 2004 10:01 AM

You know, the price of GL2 in Toronto, Canada is keep dropping. One year ago, it was $3999, then half year ago dropped to $3499 and now it became $2999, some smaller stores even selling $2700. So I don't think those are ripoff.

I guess because Panasonic came out DVX100 and Sony also release VX2100 so Canon want to push more sell. The Sony VX2100 is $4500 Canadian Dollar I think it is too expensive in Canada, I feel that Sony VX2100 is always higher price then US in Canada. But a few smaller store in Toronto selling Sony VX2100 for $3700 Canadian Dollars, so is $1000 more than GL2.
Correct me if I am wrong. Thanks.

Ron Evans July 20th, 2004 05:04 PM

Alex the prices here in Ottawa are a little more than in Toronto but it is certainly possible to buy a Gl2 and GS200 and have enough money left over to buy a big bag to put them both in too. The VX2100 is about $1500 CAN more than the GL2 and is only a few hundred less than a DVX100A.

Ron Evans