white balancing? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old July 20th, 2004, 06:06 AM   #1
Major Player

white balancing?

What do you guys usually use to manually white balance your camera? (cards, paper?? Etc.)

I have a wedding coming up in a few days and just trying to get all the last minute things figured out.

Thanks
Old July 20th, 2004, 08:12 AM   #2
Old Boot

I've WBed on a hankerchief .. my mates white shirt .. one of the chorasters blouses . . Went to a tutorial given by a bloke from the BBC you WB-ed on a light bulb . . nah wouldn't do it meself .. Cards . . never used them . .Used A4 white paper . . do some experimenting IF you have time .. see what takes your fancy. .. At the end o fthe day whatever you do do . .DO WB .. . made my life simpler . ..
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2004, 08:14 AM   #3
Old Boot

.. nearl forgot, caterers tablecloth!
Old July 20th, 2004, 02:53 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I like to use the back of my Don Earl clap board.
Thomas Smith Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2004, 04:02 PM   #5
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Anything near-white will do the job. I generally use the white plastic white balance cards that Porta Brace includes with many of its bags.

The target does not have to be large but it should be flat. It is also important that you focus on the target and properly expose it -before- striking your manual white balance. (A common mistake by new shooters.) It's also important that the target be completely illuminated by the light source you're trying to balance against.

As you move forward you may want to try out some WarmCards, which are white balance cards designed to shift the camera's manual white balance in various ways.

Have fun!

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2004, 04:48 PM   #6
Regular Crew

But why are warmcards from http://www.warmcards.com so freekin' expensive. I mean $65 for some laminated pieces of card stock? Couldn't I just use construction paper that is a similar shades of blue that they use? Or is it made with some sort of special paper? Or special lamination?
Old July 20th, 2004, 05:19 PM   #7
Capt. Quirk

It's a percentage of grays and colors, and you can do it yourself. You just need to know the right percentage.
Old July 20th, 2004, 08:29 PM   #8

<<<-- Originally posted by Thomas Smith Jr : But why are warmcards from http://www.warmcards.com so freekin' expensive. I mean $65 for some laminated pieces of card stock? Couldn't I just use construction paper that is a similar shades of blue that they use? Or is it made with some sort of special paper? Or special lamination? -->>>

You could, indeed, replicate the colors on a good printer. Then laminate them to sturdy stock. But the basic value proposition of Warm Cards is that of time. I doubt that Warm Cards considers hobbyists as their primary market. Their market is more likely to be shooters facing time/cost premiums.

Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

Old July 20th, 2004, 09:44 PM   #9
Regular Crew

good point.
Old July 21st, 2004, 03:03 AM   #10
Regular Crew

You might want to check out the thread in "Open DV discussion" about using bleached coffee filters. It sounds like a stroke of genius. I haven't tried it out myself, since I just read it, but here it is:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...threadid=28088
Hans Henrik Bang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2004, 03:23 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Ken, you mentioned in an earlier post that it is important to have your target illuminated by the light source to be balanced against. That makes total sense.

Any tips for how to white balance when the light source is a bunch of spotlights and overhead lights on a live theatre stage with a camera at the rear of the auditorium?

Thanks.
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2004, 04:12 AM   #12
Old Boot

.. uh-huh? . . this should be interesting ....

G
Old July 21st, 2004, 09:59 AM   #13

Here's an excellent recent thread on the general subject of shooting a theatrical performance.

Old July 21st, 2004, 10:17 AM   #14
Inner Circle

Stunningly useful. Thank you so much Ken!

ps, I won't tell you that I had in fact seen that thread a few days ago and had made a mental note to read it properly at a later time. That would make me look like an idiot . . . so I'll keep it to myself.
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2004, 10:44 AM   #15

It's such a good thread that it's a good application of a little-used, rarely-noticed feature of our system: the "Show Printable Version" link at the bottom of each thread page. That link will reformat the thread into a form better suited for printing.

Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders