DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   No filter thread WD-58H wide converter (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/293599-no-filter-thread-wd-58h-wide-converter.html)

Stephen Mcinally August 18th, 2009 11:58 AM

No filter thread WD-58H wide converter

I find it incredible that the font of the lens of the WD-58H wide converter has no filter thread in which to screw a filter!
I sent a message to Canon regarding this and they say "As far as we are aware there is no front filter thread on the WD58H"
I pointed out to canon that I at the very least I need to put a Filter on to protect the lens.
Does anyone have this converter and what are there thoughts?

Regards Stephen

Don Palomaki August 18th, 2009 04:57 PM

There are a number of other quality wide adapters that do not provide filter threads, Canon is not alone in this regard.

If you really need a filter, look into something like the Cookin external mount system.

For front element protection, I generally use stand-off distance, but that may not work for your shooting. My gripe with filters is that they provide another pair of surfaces in the light path, and with the depth of field we see, dust on the filter can become apparent, especially under certain lighting conditions.

Stephen Mcinally August 18th, 2009 05:22 PM

No filter thread WD-58H wide converter Reply to Thread

Thanks for the reply, My first concern is to protect the expensive lens from scratches and any other damage that can occur to the front lens surface. I don't understand "stand-off distance" Also Don, you can just get a filter that is just plain class again to protect the lens.
Cookin wouldn't be suitable in this regard because I need some filter that screws onto the front of the lens.

Thanks Steve

Don Palomaki August 20th, 2009 03:37 PM

Quote:

I don't understand "stand-off distance"
Distance between the lens and the likely source of a problem (e.g., spitting baby).

I've seen some "slip on" type of lens attachments/filters. About like some lens caps. Cannot give you a make/model through. You might be able to improvise - take the glass from a filter and mount it in a slip-on lens cap.

Jim Andrada August 21st, 2009 11:24 AM

Not sure if this is the real reason why no filter rings, but it's possible that the maker is worried that anything you mount on the front of the adapter will intrude enough into the field of view of the lens to cause vignetting in the corners - thus no threads.

I know on really extreme wide angle still camera lenses there is a slot at the BACK of the lens to insert a gelatin filter for the same reason.

Or I guess you could always use a matte box type of lens shade

By the way I have the same adapter on my GL2 all the time and I just don't worry about it beyond reasonable attention to things that could damage the lens.

Graham Bernard August 22nd, 2009 11:50 AM

I've got a matt box, now permanently fixed on rods on which my XM2 sits and that physically protects my permanent WA. And I can also use it as a filter holder too!

Grazie

Stephen Mcinally August 25th, 2009 11:02 AM

wd-58h in terms of a equivalent 35mm lens

Hello, can someone tell me what is the equivalent of the angle of view in terms of my Canon XM2 at wide angle? In 35mm still camera's the xm2 would seem to be the equivalent of a 50mm still film camera lens, what would it be with the converter fitted equivalent to in a 35mm still camera lens?
Since I have only recently moved to Camcorders I still think about lens in terms of 35mm still film camera's perspective.

Regards Steve

Don Palomaki August 25th, 2009 04:11 PM

The rated field of view at the wide end in degrees-minutes for the 20x /4.2-84mm lens in a 1/4" CCD is:

Diagonal - 56-22'
horizontal - 46-24'
vertical - 35-38'

Due the the different aspect ratio (4:3 vs 3:2 with 35 mm still film), there is not an an "exact" equivalency but it is about 40 mm in 35mm still film terms based on the diagonal. A 0.7x adapter would take you to about 28mm equivalent.

This does not allow for any overscan on the viewing system.