First wedding with the GL2 and this is the hall!!! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old July 30th, 2004, 05:47 PM   #1
Major Player

First wedding with the GL2 and this is the hall!!!

Did my first wedding with the GL2 yesterday (only second overall) and this was the hall we had to deal with!! Talk about backlighting!!!
At least I got a line out from the DJ that sounded pretty good.

http://www.digitaliso.ca/hall_nightmare.wmv
Old July 30th, 2004, 06:21 PM   #2
Wrangler

That is crazy. What did you do? What settings did you use?
Michael Wisniewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2004, 06:32 PM   #3
Major Player

Before the sun set a bit, I actually had to use the ND filter and set the aperture to about 3.5. Basically had to blow out the background in order to get any detail on the guests.
Old July 31st, 2004, 02:05 AM   #4
Old Boot

Nice zoom out ! What tripod and head did you use for this set-up? LANC extension? I notice there were roller blinds on the Windows - not an option? - But yes "been there - done that" you just have to "blow" the backgorund IF you can't control the lighting .. .

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2004, 08:24 AM   #5
Major Player

That was done with a Manfrotto 501 on a Manfrotto 3046 tripod. Yes it was a Lanc controller.

I retrofiited my Sony remote handle on the 501 and it works pretty good
Old August 1st, 2004, 04:09 PM   #6
Major Player

Nice zoom. I also use a remote but it's a Manfrotto. The remotes really make a difference with controlled zooms.

Did you get any shots with your back to the windows? Seems that's where you might have captured more contrast and color.
Bob
Bob Harotunian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2004, 03:29 AM   #7
Major Player

Yes, not so happy shooting before the sun sets either... Here, the wedding receptions start at 19 - 20 hours and go on untill 3 - 5 o'clock in the morning. So, I do some shoots before the sun sets, most of them with the back at the window - very limited. Than I do my best to avoid shooting when they turn on the lights inside, right before it gets dark outside. You know, that special time when you get red light inside mixed with the blue light from outside :). I do most of the shooting after the sun sets.
Old August 4th, 2004, 12:28 PM   #8
Major Player

HELP!

I have a slightly similar situation comming up this Saturday. Fortunately the Wedding Anniversary is outdoors and the guests are seated facing the sun, but the Husband and Wife will have their backs to the sun. It is on a terrace two stories up so there is nothing but blue sky and sun behind them about 10:30 AM. Don't know whether to attach an aluminum car shade to a couple of lamp stands or use halogen lighting. Pretty sure that will throw the color off big time. Hopefully white balancing will help. This situation will be a first for me. Any more suggestions would be appreciated. Can't spend any additional money. Of course I could wash out the backround but I'm sure they would want the outdoors with the boats, etc behind them. Seems additional lighting is the only option, but how? The bride is dark complexioned so forget about her showing up well without some adjustments of some kind. To top it off they will be dressed in some weird lavender color, which I know the GL2 will have a hard time with picking up, so I explained in advance the color she chose may be more bluish. She didn't seem to mind.
Bill Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2004, 07:22 AM   #9
Major Player

"attach an aluminum car shade to a couple of lamp stands"

I did this with photos. Worked grate! But I just hend held one of those alu shade and aimed it to the couple. (the photographer did hes job...). But the thing was quite directional, almost like a mirror! It had some image on the other side, but you can find car shades with alu on one side and pure white the other. I think the white side would be better, with more diffused light. Anyway, another problem was the wind! It was quite hard to kipp that car shade in one place! And if that would have been video instead of photo, you'd clearly see the movement of the light beam on their faces... I think you really nead something white, for a diffused light. As long as you have plenty of light on their faces, their hair will look great with the sun from the back!
Old August 5th, 2004, 08:50 AM   #10
Major Player

Thanks Cosmin, I'll keep this in mind. I shall experiment before Saturday to see if it is possible.
Bill Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2004, 09:04 AM   #11
Major Player

That's best!

Anyway, I'm not familiar with customs in your country, but here the couple hardly sits at their table... Just to eat, and then they'll walk 'n talk with the guests, dance... So I would have plenty of time to catch them in better light.
Old August 5th, 2004, 09:24 AM   #12
Major Player

Bill,
A similar suggestion would be to get a bounce card. They're used for fill lighting and might do a better job than a car reflector. Try a search on "bounce cards" for more info.
Good luck.
Bob
Bob Harotunian is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders