Canon GL-2. Strange f-stop problem. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old August 9th, 2004, 02:25 PM   #1
Tourist

Canon GL-2. Strange f-stop problem.

Hello All!

I am to work as cameraman on a documentary in Poland. They have no money and want me to shoot with a Canon GL-2. I tested it the other day and found out that the smallest f-stop is f8. With the ND filter on and at f8 I was unable to properly expose the sky. It was blown out. Normally I would need f16 for this.

1.How does one work with this??

2.Is it okay to put an ND filter between the lens and the wide angle adapter lens, or will this ruin the focus and cause vignetting? (There are no threads on the front of the wide angle converter lens.)

3. They want to blow up to 35mm film possibly. Should I vie for a better camera? (I am spoiled with my own xl-1 but it is ntsc!)

Thanks to anyone in advance who can help!
Cheers,
Robert
Robert Pittman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2004, 02:40 PM   #2
Warden

Smaller f/stops cause diffraction on these smaller cameras. Use a ND filter between the WA adapter and the lens. The widest zoom setting may cause vignetting, I'd run a few test first to determine possibility of vignetting.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2004, 07:18 PM   #3
Wrangler

Consider using a faster shutter speed .
Old August 10th, 2004, 12:02 PM   #4
Contributor

I'd go for the external ND filter. You probably will get some vignetting zoomed back all the way with the wide angle adapter, so just zoom in a bit. Shooting at a faster shutter speed can be an option, but it may cause you additional problems in some cases (for example, spinning objects such as wheels may strobe and flicker).
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2004, 11:37 AM   #5
Major Player

Re: Canon GL-2. Strange f-stop problem.

Hi Robert,

"I was unable to properly expose the sky. It was blown out. "

Try a hard or soft gradient ND filter. Do you have a Cokin filter holder?
Go ahead with tiffen or something good one.
The cokin isn't a true neutral.

hope this helps,
Marton
Prech Marton is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders