Tales from pixieland, or how a second hand XM1(GL1) turns into a brand new XM2 (GL2). at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old August 11th, 2004, 10:51 AM   #1
Major Player

Tales from pixieland, or how a second hand XM1(GL1) turns into a brand new XM2 (GL2).

Hi all.

Shooting weddings with an XL1s, I was looking for a second camera to serve as backup camera, should my main camera fail, and to be used also as a capture deck so, not so many hours of work are put into the XL1s.

First thought, buy a "cheapie" MiniDV camera. Drawbacks: I would be putting my precious wedding tapes in a cheap mechanism, slow to rewind, as a backup camera the image quality would be far from the main camera and, I would have to buy extra batteries to be able to shoot an entire wedding, should the XL1s fail at the begining. I've had my share of ocasions where I ended up spending not so little money and not beeing serverd wright.

So, I looked at the used equipment adds for something more close to the "pro" side of things. And, there it was, an XM1(GL1) for sale. Phoned, the price was ok, and to me that camera had an extra thing in its favor: I could use the same batteries as the XL1s.

We met, I tested the camera, recorded a bit, captured that into the laptop, everything a OK.

Well, not exactly. At home, connected it to a monitor, and (feeling a shiver down my spine) there they were, the DEAD PIXELS. Yes and they were two. One more visible, down below the safe zone, and another less visible in the middle of the screen.

But I tested the camera! How could that be??? Well my friends, they are very dificult, if not impossible, to see on the viewfinder or on the LCD. Lesson: Always test with a monitor.

Called the fellow, and was lucky enough for him to show up, aknowledge the problem, and give me my money back.

Part II will follow tomorrow.

Best regards,
Arnaldo
Arnaldo Paixao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2004, 01:29 PM   #2
Wrangler

Re: Tales from pixieland, or how a second hand XM1(GL1) turns into a brand new XM2 (G

<<<-- Originally posted by Arnaldo Paixao : Part II will follow tomorrow. -->>>

Is that the part where the Pixies leave the new GL-2 under your pillow? ;-)
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2004, 02:10 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Are you talking about dead pixels in the viewfinder or dead pixels on the CCD?

I didn't know you could have dead pixels on the CCD if that's the case.
Charlie Durand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2004, 03:15 AM   #4
Major Player

Tales from pixieland, Part II.

"Is that the part where the Pixies leave the new GL-2 under your pillow? ;-)" --> Ah Ah, good one Boyd!

"Are you talking about dead pixels in the viewfinder or dead pixels on the CCD?" --> Dead pixels in the CCD.

"I didn't know you could have dead pixels on the CCD if that's the case." --> Yes sir, you can. As I bitterly found out.

Left with no camera, I did some more searches but no luck.

Than, as Boyd said, the Pixies left a new GL-2 under my pillow. But they insisted on cash, they don't believe in Santa you know, just hard currency...

Well, I was left with little choices. I tried in the first place not to spend so much money, but since work is coming in at a pretty good rate, I think it was the best option for me.

Now I have:

- A quality backup camera wich uses the same batteries as my XL1s.
- A lighter camera with quality within the XL1s, with an LCD, wich is better for some handheld shoots.
- A "capture deck".
- An analog to digital converter, so I can do analog capture with a cheap firewire card, not tying my RT-X100 system for that and not using the XL1s, putting more "power on" hours on it.
- A digital to analog converter, for exporting to an analog VHS tape recorder, with the advantages stated in the previous point.
- And, a lot less money in my bank acount :)

Lessons learned:

- Before you buy, check the forum. I later found out several threads talking about dead pixels on the GL-1.
- Always test with a monitor or TV.
- Don't believe the Pixies, they just want your money :)

Best regards,
Arnaldo
Arnaldo Paixao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2004, 10:19 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Re: Tales from pixieland, Part II.

Quote:
- A "capture deck"
That's funny that you would use a gl2 to do captures because I just bought my gl2 after quite some time saving and I am SO against using it as a cap deck. I bought mine used about three weeks ago and I still haven't seen it on a monitor. NOW I will be on pins and needles all day until I get to get home and test it on the TV.
Thomas Smith Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2004, 02:21 AM   #6
Major Player

"I bought mine used about three weeks ago and I still haven't seen it on a monitor. NOW I will be on pins and needles all day until I get to get home and test it on the TV." --> I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Best regards,
Arnaldo
Arnaldo Paixao is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders