white balance for multipule shots in a scene with my GL2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old August 17th, 2004, 03:39 AM   #1
Regular Crew

white balance for multipule shots in a scene with my GL2

I have been experimenting with my gl2 for the best possible shots for a short I'm shooting this weekend. I will be using all manual settings. I am aware (thanks to the great archives here at dvinfo!!!!) that setting your own white balance will give you a better picture and control over the final image than the automatic wb settings.

Here's my question; Should I/do I need to reset my white balance everytime I change my camera position when shooting the same scene?

I will have a lock down master shot of two people talking about 4 feet apart. I also want a hand held shot from person A's pov and then a hand held shot from person B's pov for the exact same scene.

Should I reset my white balance everytime I change camera position or keep the original white balance from the master shot? I was concerned that if I do or don't reset white balance, my colors would be way off when editing all three shots together. Or is the color difference a common problem when editing it all together?!? I have final cut express and I'm learning about the color correction filter. I will be conducting my own tests over the next few days...but any advice greatly appreciated!!
Dennis Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2004, 03:52 AM   #2
Trustee

Dennis,
If you're not changing your lighting - or if you know that the light source is stable - then you shouldn't need to re-balance at all in the same location.

Robin.
Robin Davies-Rollinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2004, 04:10 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Robin!!

I'll be relying on the rooms natural light and a couple of Chinese lanterns that I'll keep in the same position for each shot. Thanks again!
Dennis Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2004, 10:23 AM   #4
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

As Robin notes, no, you should not have to adjust white balance for the same set/scene. In fact, you would be causing yourself endless grief if you attempted to do so. As you will likely be inter-cutting shots from different camera positions in that room you would end up having to color correct each snippet to get them to blend when editing. Ugh!

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2004, 11:09 AM   #5
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Ken Tanaka : As Robin notes, no, you should not have to adjust white balance for the same set/scene. In fact, you would be causing yourself endless grief if you attempted to do so. As you will likely be inter-cutting shots from different camera positions in that room you would end up having to color correct each snippet to get them to blend when editing. Ugh! -->>>

Thanks for the advice Ken!

I'll set the white balance once for the master shot and keep that setting for when I move the gl2 for the secondary shots around the same set.

Now I have to decide whether to use frame mode or not.....(Believe me I know this topic has been discussed on way more than a few occasions) ;)
Dennis Parker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders