Ultra Slow Zoom at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old August 21st, 2004, 05:20 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Ultra Slow Zoom

I have set the GL-2 at different speeds for the zoom and those settings seem to be working as designed ... but I would like for the zoom to be much slower yet. Anyone know a way to get a very sloooooooooow zoom?
Ron Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2004, 06:03 PM   #2
Wrangler

I'm not familiar with the GL-2, but you may need a LANC zoom controller to accomplish this, or at least that seems to be the case on my Sony cameras. I ended up getting a Varizoom Pro-L because it has a dial which lets you choose the absolute minimum zoom speed allowed by your camera. I'm sure there are other controllers with a similar feature as well.

However, this still may not do what you want. The zoom speed is limited by the capability of the servo motor in the camera. You will also probably notice a bit of a jolt when the zoom starts, since that's just how most of our prosumer cameras are built.

I'm sure someone else with specific GL-2 experience will have some specific input on this.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2004, 11:43 PM   #3
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Boyd is quite correct. The main rocker on the GL-2 can access the full range of its zoom speeds. But the range of speeds is limited to, I believe, 4-5 speeds. A LANC controller may make it easier for you to run the slowest speed, particularly the controllers that feature a separate speed dial (such as Varizoom's Pro-L controller).

But the GL-2's zoom servo motor, like those of the lenses on all of its peers, is not the same as is found on broadcast lenses. In particular, they have only stepped motion curves.

To accomplish a completely smooth "zoom" don't use the zoom at all. Use a very smooth dolly, such as a wheelchair.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2004, 01:19 AM   #4
Major Player

The ZR1000 provides those presets and the slowest zoom is OK for what I do, a lot better than the standard Cam zoom. I suggest you try some out if you can before buying.
Old August 22nd, 2004, 02:22 AM   #5
Old Boot

Jerky Snatch!

Alan is correct. But, there is a "snatch" at the beginning of the zoom - no matter how careful you are and you will be anticipating this "jerk" and not be thinking about the shot! . . . The effect of this is that from STILL to MOVE can be quite different in the "feel" of that beautiful zoom your are trying to accomplish. Solution: Take account of this and "design" your zoom "take" so that you have a short "lead-in" wasteage to the actual zoom. This you can then remove/dissolve-over on the timeline - get it?

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2004, 01:56 PM   #6
Major Player

Grazie,

I will have to look a lot closer because I did not see "the snatch" as you call it.

Maybe it is those experienced eyes of yours again striving for perfection (I am 1yr behind you but still have the same aim).
Old August 22nd, 2004, 02:57 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Hey guys ... great ideas. Edit the "start-up of the zoom" and move the entire camera are both very good! Not able to test any controllers here ... out in the middle of 1M acres of corn....ha. Any other ideas out there?

Thanks!
Ron Edwards is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders