DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   New DUAL Shoe Bracket - Reviewed (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/31045-new-dual-shoe-bracket-reviewed.html)

Miguel Lombana August 26th, 2004 07:43 PM

New DUAL Shoe Bracket - Reviewed

Gang,

A while back (and I've seen several ask this question) I was looking for a dual shoe solution to mount a light and my boom mic and most suggested and I even purchased the Cool Lux.

The biggest complaint that I've had with the Cool Lux is that it's a little over sized, the angle is a little too wide and you end up with a really odd configuration on the top of your camera.

While watching the Olympics and surfing on the couch with the wireless laptop, I was astounded as to how "hap-hazard" the pro's mounted their booms. In one case I clearly saw duct-tape and in many cases they just laid their mics on the top right of their cam and let them hang.

Well, true pro's care and I know that we all care or this forum would be dead. I found something on BHPHOTOVIDEO that caught my eye, for the money and the design so I opted to give it a whirl and all I can say is, FINALLY!

The Mamiya AD402 (BH Part # MADSA645PTL) http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=146293&is=REG
is a prosumers dream. A small, tight, right angle adapter with enough clearance to mount my Frezzi or my Varalux Pro! All this for about the price of the Cool Lux (38.00 + shipping).

With that said I present my new cam configuration: http://www2.dj-miguel.com:8000/modules.php?name=Coppermine&file=thumbnails&album=26

GL2 with Azden Boom & Frezzi MicroFill on board, WD58 is stored, this is my wifes baby cam so I don't like to add the weight with the extra lens. In fact I need to get back downstairs and get all the lighting stuff off it in case the little one does something cute and my wife needs to roll tape!

The custom cable was from Jim Woodier at AVCable.com who prepared a 12" Right Angle to Right Angle XLR for about 20 bucks which was a huge improvment over the stock 18" cable that only had a right angle on the mic. I can actually keep my hand in the strap while the mic is in the XLR Pro. Oh and get ready for this, I can keep the adapter on the shoe and still store the cam in my Pelican case, the lid still closes unlike with the Cool Lux!

I just wanted to share this information with the community, I know that every little bit helps!

Miguel Lombana
www.lauderdaledj.com
Orlando, FL

Bruce S. Yarock August 30th, 2004 04:24 PM

Miguel,
That's interesting info. I'd like to ask you a couple of questions,if you don't mind. ( I'm getting numerous accessories together for my GL1...).
I wanted an on camera light and bought a Canon 10 watt, but it's blinding. Do the lights you use have filters or dimmers so as not to blind, but rather add more diffused light? Also, how do you power the light? Which model would you suggest?
Also, I want to find someone to give me some camera training ( for pay). I'm in South Fl. ( Pembroke Pines).
My background is in song writing and production, but we got involved in some video, etc., and now I'm trying to get things together.
If you have any info you want to talk about, feel free to email your number.
thanks
bruce yarock
yarock@aol

Miguel Lombana August 30th, 2004 08:27 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Bruce S. Yarock : Miguel,
That's interesting info. I'd like to ask you a couple of questions,if you don't mind. ( I'm getting numerous accessories together for my GL1...).
I wanted an on camera light and bought a Canon 10 watt, but it's blinding. Do the lights you use have filters or dimmers so as not to blind, but rather add more diffused light? Also, how do you power the light? Which model would you suggest?
Also, I want to find someone to give me some camera training ( for pay). I'm in South Fl. ( Pembroke Pines).
My background is in song writing and production, but we got involved in some video, etc., and now I'm trying to get things together.
If you have any info you want to talk about, feel free to email your number.
thanks
bruce yarock
yarock@aol -->>>

Bruce why don't you email me offline and we can discuss, I'm not south anymore, I live in the land of the mouse house now but travel south from time to time. I'd be more than happy to help with your questions...

Miguel @ lauderdaledj .com (remove spaces - intentional so as not to get picked up by spam seeking web spiders).

Matt Elias August 31st, 2004 02:39 AM

Bruce, simple solution to lower the intensity of your light is to use diffusion paper, or what I do - attach wax paper to the light w/ rubber bands at the top and bottom. It works fine and is within my budget.

Bruce S. Yarock August 31st, 2004 03:21 AM

Miguel,
thanks. I'll get in touch off line.

matt,
I'll try that...thanks. Btw, where do you get "difusion paper"?
bruce yarock

Matt Elias August 31st, 2004 03:40 PM

You can get it on the net or in most camera stores.

Bob Harotunian August 31st, 2004 06:39 PM

Miguel,
Just got the Mamiya AD402. I was using the CoolLux Y bracket but I think this adapter you recommended is going to solve a problem. I use a Senn ME66 and Frezzi with soft box and I get a little shadowing from the mic. It seems that using the Mamiya with the mic on the side and light on top, causes no obstruction. I'll battle test it Saturday at our next wedding.
Thanks for the good tip!
Bob

Miguel Lombana August 31st, 2004 07:43 PM

Bob I'll be honest, i just shot this past weekend and it was so nice to have what felt like a "balanced" rig, the Cool Lux fit a need but it never felt right. This not to mention that I don't have to remove the mount when I'm setting the cam back in the case for transport saves time as well.

Let us know how you like it...