Canon Provides Service on GL2 Beyond Warranty Period at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old September 4th, 2004, 11:32 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Canon Provides Service on GL2 Beyond Warranty Period

I'm now the very happy owner of a Canon GL2! And my very first experience with it was very positive. Canon has shown that they provide outstanding service, and go beyond the legal requirements of the warranty.

I just bought a used GL2 from an individual in my local area. Altogether, it was a very pleasant experience. The seller was a true gentleman and professional.

We met at a local restaurant to conduct the transaction. The first thing he told me was that the GL2 had just been returned from Canon for servicing, and that if I wished to cancel the deal that would be OK. And now the impressive part. Although the GL2 was out of warranty (purchased 1-1/2 years ago), Cannon provided full warranty service on the tape drive mechanism, all at no charge!

The seller had experienced a problem recently with ejection of a tape. He called Canon, and they told him to go ahead and send it in, and they would repair it at no charge. He gave me the letter he received from Canon when the GL2 was returned. It states:
Quote:
REQUEST DETAILS
Message to remove tape.
Repair to good working order.
Warranty expired.
One time courtesy Repair.

SERVICE/WORK TYPE
No Charge, Repair
And get this: Even thought the GL2 was out of warranty, the repair comes with a full 3 months warranty of parts and labor.

In addition to the repair, Canon cleaned, checked, and adjusted the GL2 to factory specs.

So, it's like I just got a NEW GL2 at a used price! :-))

Two other really positive factors:
1. Canon repaired and returned the GL2 in less than 2 weeks.
2. While the Canon warranty is for 1 year parts and labor, the tape mechanism is limited to only 90 days! So even though the warranty on the tape mechanism had expired well over a year ago, Canon repaired it at no charge.

I'm very lucky to have found this deal. I can't wait to get out their and start using my "new" GL2. I have been lurking a lot in these forums, and have found it very helpful.
JM Underwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2004, 03:38 PM   #2
Fred Retread

Great news!

The "Remove Tape" failure is a famous one with Canon. I just finished an opinion post about it at camcorderinfo.com.

I hope your experience reflects their current policy on this particular failure mode. I agree that the GL2 is otherwise an outstanding product.

--
Fred
Old September 7th, 2004, 12:16 AM   #3
Old Boot

In your opinion post, did you mention the Zoom issue? And yes the XM2 is great.

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2004, 03:26 AM   #4
Registration incomplete -- contact admin

Fred,

Could you possibly post a link to the thread at camcorderinfo.com?

Are you saying that the “Remove Tape” problem is a common problem with GL2s?

Is this a generic problem with GL2s or is it caused by using more than one brand of tape with the GL2?

If you clean the tape heads, can you change to another brand of tape?
Larry Wilie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2004, 09:00 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Fred's post

<<<-- Originally posted by Larry Wilie : Fred,

Could you possibly post a link to the thread at camcorderinfo.com?

Are you saying that the “Remove Tape” problem is a common problem with GL2s?
-->>>

Hope you'll take this link even though I'm not Fred.

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/bbs/t104394.html

The "Remove Cassette" problem seems to be endemic to Canon camcorders.
David Yuen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders