DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   GL2 5 volt jack (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/3288-gl2-5-volt-jack.html)

Jim McNally August 20th, 2002 11:36 PM

GL2 5 volt jack

On the GL2 is a jack that says DC5volts right above the Mic and Headphone jacks. I can't find anywhere in the manual what this is for. Does anyone know the reason for this jack?

thanks,

Rob Unck August 21st, 2002 11:47 AM

Re: GL2 5 volt jack

I believe it is to power an audio device such as a Beachtek XLR adapter or a Canon boom mike (like on the XL1s.)

Community Members, please correct me if I'm wrong!

<<<-- Originally posted by Jim McNally : On the GL2 is a jack that says DC5volts right above the Mic and Headphone jacks. I can't find anywhere in the manual what this is for. Does anyone know the reason for this jack?

thanks, -->>>

Linc Kesler August 22nd, 2002 10:54 AM

I think this voltage is available to supply power to some of the "consumer grade" electret mics. Sony typically puts this voltage across the mic input jack. I don't know about the Beachtek, but the Studio 1 box is a passive device and does not require power. In fact, one of the things that I think both the Studio 1 and the Beachtek do is to block this voltage (using a capacitor, I'd guess) from reaching the mic input circuitry with powered mics, so that it won't cause any problems. I tried, for instance, plugging two Nady wireless units into a TRV 900 using a 2 mono to 1 stereo minijack adaptor, and got very different levels in the camera, perhaps because of the voltage across the input (actually, this is just a guess, since I baled, first to the Studio 1 box and some corded mics, and later to the GL2). Canon, restricting the voltage to a separate jack (Sony also has that), may have solved this problem for some people, while making the use of the cheaper mics that want the power more difficult (a split cord needed). But, for what it is worth, the Studio 1 box is great with the GL2, keeps the balanced cords and jacks (which are heavy) on the floor (or your belt, if you're mobile), allows for line level feeds as well as mini and phone jack input, and lets you blow one or both inputs over both channels if you want. You can also attenuate each channel (cut volume: since it's a passive device, no boost). This last feature isn't as useful for the GL2, since you can adjust (and meter!) both channels independently, but it is a good feature if you are using the box with other cameras (like a VX2000 which has a single meter/adjustment). I think the Beachtek does most of that too, but I think you might get some signal loss (volume, not quality) with it (so I've heard).

Linc Kesler

Ken Tanaka August 22nd, 2002 12:26 PM

The Beachtek unit for the GL-1/GL-2 is also a passive device, featuring only a mini-plug into the camera's audio-in (mic) jack.

I've pondered this 5v hole for years (on my GL-1). With Canon's introduction of the "Smart Shoe" which can power a light or their new "focusable" shotgun mic (whatever the heck that is) we may see this mysterious hole disappear (although I think the shoe supplies 3v, judging by the light's rating.

Steve McDonald August 24th, 2002 09:19 AM

This DC power jack, which usually has a 3/32", micro-miniplug size, has appeared on numerous Canon and Sony camcorders for years. Now, Sony seems to use the mic jack to feed this "phantom-power" out to mikes that don't have their own batteries and leaves off this separate DC jack. I checked with a Canon rep years ago and he told me that they furnished 4.5 VDC. I guess they've rounded-off the voltage recently.

The nice little stereo mike used on the Canon L-1/L-2 may still be for sale as a separate item and would take its power from this jack on the GL1/GL2. This is a neat mike, as it switches from wider stereo to a long distance, narrower mono pickup. Another good mini-stereo mike for the GL2, is the Sony ECM-MS908. It uses its own battery and also has a wide/narrow pattern switch, but both modes are stereo. You don't use the
DC jack with it. It's very small and unobtrusive, but kicks out a good, clean sound, if you want stereo in an externally-mounted mike.