scam? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Closed Thread

Old October 11th, 2004, 12:23 AM   #1
New Boot

scam?

im looking at pc magazine and in the back it has an add for broadway photo in brooklyn. it has gl 2's for 1469.99. any one know about this place.
Old October 11th, 2004, 12:27 AM   #2
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Broadway Photo is quite a notorious trap for naive buyers looking for "the best price". Do a Search on "Broadway" here for more info. Always check ResellerRatings.com before doing business with a new dealer.

Bottom line: don't even think about buying from them. Don't even call them.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Old October 11th, 2004, 09:12 AM   #3
Regular Crew

www.bestpriceaudiovideo.com

$2150 is about the best price you can find. I have spent hours researching this and have been buying cameras for decades through mail order. www.bestpriceaudiovideo.com

Some credit cards will price match those rip off artists if you can show them a print ad. I think citicard has a program like this.

peace, Rolland
Old October 11th, 2004, 09:38 AM   #4
Wrangler

B&H sells the GL-2 for $2,400, less the $250 rebate which comes to $2,150.
Old October 11th, 2004, 11:14 AM   #5
Regular Crew

$2150 minus the $250 rebate is $1900 and shipping is reasonable at around $20.00.

B&H is over priced and the above vendor has numberous positive comments on this board as being reliable.

After weeks of hunting for a good used one at a good price I just bought a new one this morning.

Here is a link to the Citibank Diamond Preferred Rewards card has a Price Protection program where you can get back upto $1000 per item purchased locally or by Phone/Mail order, if you see it advertised in print for less. Doesn't apply to internet purchases or ads.
Especially useful buying from local store and pricematching those ads in the back of camera magazines.

http://citi.bridgetrack.com/usc/Affiliates/diamond/default.htm?BTData=C02117A74667E625453434CABB0A1ACAB88968D88F6E1E6F029BEB62&app=UNSOL&sc=4D3Z60K4&m= NMR15C4P80W&langId=EN&siteId=CB&B=M&sid=DIAmr321001233&BT_TX=1
Old October 11th, 2004, 12:14 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Ken please reread my post I am not talking about broadway photo and I did not buy a used camera.

Bottom line B&H is $250 more expensive than other vendors.

If you take time to read my posts you will understand them.
Old October 11th, 2004, 12:51 PM   #7
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Rolland: I did "take time" to read your post; it was ambiguously written.

Nevertheless, my apologies for misunderstanding.

As folks here likely know, we encourage doing business with our sponsors (linked below). They have very competitive pricing and stand behind what they sell.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders