GL2 Mic Requirement at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old October 24th, 2004, 08:33 PM   #1
Regular Crew

GL2 Mic Requirement

The GL2 manual reads the Mic terminal input:
-55 dbV (with 600 ohm mic)/5.6 kohms (MIC ATT OFF)

I purchased a Electro-Voice RE50N/D-B microphone to collect ambient sound during church weddings. I could not get anywhere near enough out of this mic. The specs for the mic are:
150 ohms balanced

Is the problem do to the 150 ohms of the mic vs 600 ohms of the GL2?

Thanks in Advance!

Ron
Ron Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2004, 03:58 AM   #2
Wrangler

The 150 ohm impedance is not the problem. The EV RE50 is a dynamic mic. In general, dynamic mic output is lower than a powered condensor mic. The Sennheiser ME66 for example has about 25 times ( ~28 dB) higher output for the same input sound level. Also, in venues like churches, the ambient sound level reaching the mic is typically much lower than say voice a few inches from the mic (which is the RE50's design use).

If you are recording true ambient (background) sound, a level on the order of -20 dB or lower is to be expected. If you are trying to capture specific sounds (e.g., voice, music, etc.) from ambient sound, you need to get the mic much closer to the sound source for good results.
Old October 25th, 2004, 05:41 AM   #3
Major Player

Ideally one of the AT822 or AT825 mics would be more like what you're looking for (http://www.audio-technica.com/guide/type/index.html#stereo) a field recording mic for ambient sound recording.

These are condenser / self powered mics (not requiring phantom power) and should give you the gain you're in need of an stereo image that you will desire. Now the only issue that you will face with a stereo mic is that there are 2 mic cables that you will need to plug into your camera.

If you're only shooting 1 cam for the wedding, and you have a couple of wireless packs setup, then you're at a quandary as to where you will insert the ambient mic.

If you're shooting 2 cams, then there is no issue since you will likely run the ambient mic to your stage cam with both cables then rely on your B cam to do both your wireless packs.

Either way, this can be done easily, but will require a little more planning for mic placement and recording setup.

OOPS - Update: The 822 is XLR to 1/8th mini stereo so that one may be easier to work with, either way think it through. OH and get a nice high mic stand that you can get these units up to about 8 feet or so and pointing down to the audience.
Old October 25th, 2004, 03:11 PM   #4
Major Player

nice video man. I made an great little war movie myself at home with flashing flashbacks and self-composed music in cubase sx 2 (effects and everything). I will put it online someday.

I wish I could see the full uncompressed version of your video (a DVD format). Well, never mind. SOme transitions were a bit weird. There was no motion in the movie.
Jose di Cani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2004, 08:39 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I use the Senn Evol. G2 wireless lav mic now with very good results. Would the SMK 100 G2 with the ME865 mic ( condenser, super-cardioid ) be a good choice for this application? I also have the BeachTek DXA-4P adaptor with XLR inputs.
Ron Edwards is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders