GL2 / XM2 Frame mode - Page 11 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old September 6th, 2003, 04:42 PM   #151
Regular Crew

Frame mode ROCKS!

WHOA!

That's all I can say. Two weeks ago I shot some video with the GL2 at Ground Zero in the WTC, NYC. We're doing a memorial webcast of a documentary interview on Sept 12 with Alex Loutsky, who was both the first FDNY respondant (within 30 seconds of first impact) on scene and was the first to notify the Emergency Response System. As a quick aside, his ambulance was destroyed in the collapse, his partner injured and unable to return to his former duties, and, as they were running for their lives as the tower(s) came down the two FDNY running on either side of him were killed.

Back on topic...

I shot the interview using the GL2 in frame mode and an Azden SGM-2X XLR shotgun mic on a boom pole (wife/assistant) connected via 30-feet of XLR cable into the GL2 via MA-300. Most of it was shot tripod-mounted using the VZ-ROCK LANC controller.

We started around 6:30am on Sunday morning two weeks ago to minimize ambient noise and traffic -- but it was still pretty busy. Using "Frame Mode" infinitely ENHANCED all of that NYC hustle and bustle with what looks like a "Soderburg-Style" effect. I mean it REALLY looks nice and not at all "video-like."

I'm really impressed, and the results are awesome!

FYI, I am cutting the interview now on AXDV. The interview will be available for viewing on "WhereWasGodOn911.com" Friday, Sept 12 in the evening and then forever thereafter.
Old September 6th, 2003, 11:29 PM   #152
Old Boot

Brendan - I know this is a cheek, but is it at all possible to see some "sample footage", even 5 seconds or so? Please? I'm interested in what my XM2 can do with this Frame Mode. I suppose I could the same . . . . but you sound so enthusiastic about its performance, I was just wondering - yeah?

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2003, 01:51 PM   #153
Regular Crew

Brendan,

Awesome! I am not one to dump platitudes. The interview was great. Some work will stand the test of time and prove itself worthy of our effort. I believe this interview qualifies.

Brad
Brad Higerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2003, 02:49 PM   #154
Regular Crew

Brad,

WOW! That's high praise. Now that the live webcast is over, we're thinking about breaking the interview off of the actual presentation and including about another 10-15 minutes more of the dialog and footage.

Thanks for the positive remarks. It was hastily thrown together. I'm not a NLE and have little Avid experience, so you post was very encouraging.
Old September 24th, 2003, 09:15 AM   #155
Tourist

Frame Mode Jitters

Greetings,

I am new to this forum and a recent owner of a GL2. I was testing out the frame mode and noticed that when zoomed in at 20X the video image is jitters a little bit. When I mean jitters it's as if the image is shifting a couple of pixels in all directions randomly.

I was recording with image stabilization on and in P mode. I have searched through this forum, but didn't find anyone talking about having a similar experience. I am wondering if it's a defect in my camera. I haven't noticed this happening in normal mode. I want to know if this is typical with the camera and is due to the technology of frame mode and the image stabilization.

Thanks,
Rob
Rob Shoaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2003, 09:58 AM   #156
Outer Circle

Use a tripod and turn off the OIS. Also, frame mode footage will look jittery in the LCD.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2003, 12:21 PM   #157
Tourist

Frank thanks for the information. I'm looking forward to test the camera a bit more this weekend.
Rob Shoaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2003, 08:27 PM   #158
Tourist

Frame Mode Confusion

I've done a lot of searches here and most state that there is a loss of resolution when shooting in frame mode because of a decreased contribution from the green CCD; but the owners manual states there is a "1.5X increase in vertical resolution" on pg. 50. Which is right ?
David Bohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2003, 08:41 PM   #159
Major Player

Yeah, I thought I remembered reading that. I'm curious to see how that works too.
Nicholi Brossia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2003, 08:48 PM   #160
Outer Circle

Quote:
but the owners manual states there is a "1.5X increase in vertical resolution"
Would that be the vertical resolution of 1 field or of an odd and even field? :)
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2003, 10:24 PM   #161
Tourist

Good guestion, because that would equal the decreased resolution claims that I've found here, but the frame captures I've seen here from frame mode look way better than my interlaced frames.
David Bohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2003, 11:01 AM   #162
Trustee

David

The canon manual is confusing on this point. The 1.5x increase refers to a still frame comparison of one interlaced field with one frame mode field (vertical resolution only). In this case the manual is correct. In practical use, the temporal resolution created by two interlaced fields per frame is double that of one interlaced field, and thus is 25% greater than the two indentical frame mode fields that make up a frame...thus the correct claim that frame mode causes a slight decrease in resolution.

In actual use, especially with the gl2, this loss in resolution is barely, if at all, visible on an SD NTSC monitor. I play my footage on an HD set, and except for the jaggies that plague all DV footage, the resolution in frame mode is substantially better than any SD broadcast source.

Barry
Barry Goyette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2003, 01:54 PM   #163
Regular Crew

Who really cares about all the specs on paper. Frame mode looks rad. The person watching your video doesn't care about lines of resolution, vertical lines, etc... You should spend more energy on shooting, lighting and the message that your trying to get across, let the engineers worry about all that tech stuff! Just my opinion.

Corey
Corey MacGregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2003, 02:04 PM   #164
Major Player

That's true Corey, but then we wouldn't have anything to argue about. You can't shoot ALL the time.

The fact is, Frame mode clips look better than any deinterlaced clips I've seen. I've personally done HOURS of tests with my GL2 and several software de-interlacers. Some are obviously better than others, and I can't afford to even talk about Magic Bullet ($1000), but so far I'm happier with Frame Mode.

I shoot EVERYTHING frame mode.
Alex Dunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2003, 06:36 PM   #165
Major Player

I agree with you guys. I tried frame mode once right after receiving my camera and didn't like the way it looked all strobed on the lcd (which I later found out doesn't apply on computer or tv). Then, after reading all the hooplah about loss of resolution, I completely ignored that feature... until last week. I finally figured I'd give frame mode a try, thinking it would be okay. As soon as I saw the result on my computer, I was hooked. For starters, its a great picture. And to top that off, I don't have to settle for fuzzy or stair-step looking de-interlaced video... not to mention the render times.
There are probably uses when interlaced will provide an advantage over frame mode (slow motion maybe?), but I'll deal with that when the time comes.
Sure folks can analyze this feature to death, and probably make some pretty good points. While they're doing that, I'll be out making movies.

nicholi
Nicholi Brossia is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders