GL2 / XM2 Frame mode - Page 23 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old July 14th, 2005, 04:49 PM   #331
Wrangler

I haven't ever worked with Canon's frame mode, but I suspect you could see a difference in shots where there is some fast motion. With interlaced video you will see "combing" on the moving areas where the two fields don't match. I'm not familiar with PC editing software, but in FCP you can choose an option of whether or not to show both fields in the viewer. If you aren't viewing both fields in your software then you probably won't see any difference between frame and interlaced.

This site has some good examples of interlaced vs deinterlaced frames: http://discussions.info.apple.com/we...Dl.0@.68ab7b77
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2005, 05:05 PM   #332
Major Player

I've used Panasonic's frame mode for a few things, and it's pretty easy to tell the difference - first your preview must be at full resolution, then go to a frame where there is a horizontal movement of either subject or camera eg a person running across the frame, or better still a pan or dolly shot. If it is interlaced (and the NLE is setup to show the full frame) you'll see interlace combing. If there is no combing, it must be frame mode.

As Boyd said, if the NLE is set to deinterlace the preview you won't see it. In Vegas set the preview window quality to best-full.
Kyle Ringin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2005, 06:38 AM   #333
Major Player

In Vegas, "project manager" or whatever the name of the window - where you see all the clips you're using in the project - look at the clip's properties. It says if its interlace or progressive.
Old July 18th, 2005, 09:30 AM   #334
Fred Retread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmin Rotaru
In Vegas, "project manager" or whatever the name of the window - where you see all the clips you're using in the project - look at the clip's properties. It says if its interlace or progressive.
I never noticed that before. Now I see it works in Vegas's version of explorer too, and you can point to any directory with that.

The comb effect gives a very clear indication, but this is much quicker and easier. Great tip, Cosmin, Thanks!
Old July 18th, 2005, 06:03 PM   #335
Major Player

The clip properties is a good, fast indication. The frame mode on my panasonic is automatically picked up by Vegas as progressive. But the footage can lose this flag sometimes, depending how it is rendered, etc. but viewing the footage and looking for combing is a sure way of identifying interlaced video.
Kyle Ringin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2005, 01:47 AM   #336
Regular Crew

Frame Mode or Deinterlace.??

Howdy all,
Using my XM2 as a second camera for weddings, trying to match 25p prog on my XL2 used as the primary camera, I've used it a couple of times in normal 50i mode and then de-interlaced using Mike smart(sony vegas) and DVFilm Maker, would I be better shooting in frame mode, and would it save me some resolution and sharpness, plus would the motion be closer to the 25p of the XL2.??

Cheers Mike
Mike Hardcastle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2005, 07:50 AM   #337
RED Code Chef

If the XL2 is in 25p mode I would opt for frame mode on the XM2 indeed. However,
as always, do TEST this BEFORE you shoot a one-time event like a wedding!

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2005, 12:10 PM   #338
Regular Crew

Capture setting for Frame mode

Anyone know if I need to set my capture settings to Frame when moving footage shot in the "Frame" mode on the Gl2? I had been capturing with the DV setting and it renders fine- just curious if I should be changing this.

Help appreciated.

Tim
Tim Agnew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2005, 01:16 PM   #339
Inner Circle

I think you'll best just leave it at DV, especially if you haven't had problems with that so far.
Actually I don't really understand your question very well, could you explain somewhat better, more in detail?
If that's your question - Frame mode is just being read as interlaced DV. It looks like progressive, but it isn't (in PAL, in NTSC it almost looks like progressive, but a little bit different)
So settings to capture frame mode are usually the normal setting to capture normal interlaced DV.
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2005, 01:37 PM   #340
Regular Crew

You answered it, thanks. So, Media Studio Pro reads this footage as regular DV interlaced, correct? Thanks again
Tim Agnew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2005, 06:20 PM   #341
Inner Circle

I don't have Media Studio Pro, but I think it should work fine, capturing it as interlaced.
Best regards,
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2005, 01:53 PM   #342
Regular Crew

What is frame mode and what does it do?

Hi
What is frame mode and what does it do?
Nathaniel McInnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2005, 02:12 PM   #343
Wrangler

If you really want to get into the nuts and bolts then here's an article which discusses frame mode and compares it to true progressive scanning:

ftp://ftp.panasonic.com/pub/Panasoni...ressive-WP.pdf
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2005, 10:26 AM   #345
Regular Crew

Frame mode -->editing question

Hi all...I'm a new Gl2 user and was wondering about frame mode shooting....Who here uses it regularily?
I find the look of it very hard to discern as opposed to the regular interlaced mode and was wondering if I still capture it into my computer the regualar way?....or do I have to change the settings in my software too?....Is the rendered video then output still in the frame mode or would it be converted to 30fps interlaced?....and would the final output still retain any of the differences that the frame mode introduced?
thanks
Len
Len Imbery is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders