DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Tapeless using XM1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/34163-tapeless-using-xm1.html)

Mike Watteau October 28th, 2004 11:48 PM

Tapeless using XM1

I am in the throes of trying to shoot and download direct to computer hard drive. The problem is.....the XM1 will not function without a tape inside. Has anyone experienced this and found a way around it??

Cheers P.S, Even Canon H.O.Sydney can't tell me!!!!!!

Rob Lohman October 31st, 2004 10:43 AM

How is this harddisk connected?

Mike Watteau November 3rd, 2004 07:34 PM

Tapeless using XM1

Rob ......Apologies for delay (hosp visit) ......the XM1 is attached to the computer via a 4.5 metre firewire cable to enable downloading from camera shoot direct to 120gig hard drive/disc. We are shooting a fixed projected S8/R8 image from a special movie projector and are trying to avoid using tapes which is obviously time and cam wear consuming. We are aware of the availability of remote Firewire DV Recorders but their price is a little beyond our budget!! Hope this helps..........Mike

Rob Lohman November 4th, 2004 04:06 AM

Okay, please confirm the following is true:

1. you have the XM1 (PAL GL1)
2. you have connected this to a computer with a firewire cable
3. you start some program
4. you want to record directly to a harddisk

Is that correct? If so, you will need to tell us much more information:

1. what is the Operating System on your computer?
2. HOW is this 120 GB drive connected to your computer?
3. WHICH program are you using to try and record directly to harddisk?
4. HOW do you try to "START" the recording? On the camera? On the computer?

Can you capture (ie, confirm the computer, cable and camera are
correct) at all from a tape? You have recorded something to tape
and capture that on your computer, does that work?

Graham Bernard November 4th, 2004 06:34 AM

. .er . .Rob . . ?

"1. you have the XM1 (PAL GL2)"

I don't understand? I've got PAL XM2 . . the Stateside is GL2? Yes/no?

Grazie

Rob Lohman November 4th, 2004 08:07 AM

Indeed, that was a slight error, I've fixed my original post. Just
for everybody's information:

NTSC GL1 = XM1 PAL
NTSC GL2 = XM2 PAL

Thanks for spotting that Grazie!

David Hurdon November 4th, 2004 08:29 AM

I know from experience that you can capture live to drive via Adobe Premiere's movie capture function, starting and stopping from within the software, with the camcorder in stand by. I use a Sony VX2000 and the only weakness in the process is that it shuts itself down after five minutes of "inactivity". Another alternative, somewhat cheaper than the Firestore FS-4 just coming out for mini-DV camcorders is the DV Rack software from Serious Magic. I have captured to it with the cam in stand by, and I have to say that however it's done this direct to disk thing is compelling! DV Rack has a 14-day trial version available, is built for laptop use in the field, but apparently runs fine on desktops too, according to at least one post elsewhere in this community.

David Hurdon

Jose di Cani November 4th, 2004 06:02 PM

HI

I think it is just CANON's fault to not let you record straighyt into harddisk.The canon -guys saw this one coming so they tought....well, if they want to record, you need to put your tape in ...it is like inventing a new anti-crack for software.

maybe you can reset your inactivity range in your menu?

Graham Bernard November 5th, 2004 01:29 AM

I use Canon XM2.

When I first researched buying one of these puppies, my first test was to take my Dell Inspiron laptop to the shop and did a real World test Capturing directly/live to my HD via VideoFActory without a tape inserted. I have just repeated the test using MS MovieMaker onto my Office Compaq . . it works . .it works very well. Now, maybe this is NOT the case for the XM1 - but for the XM2 it works. It captures and captures without a tape inserted. Now, if it works for XM2s and not XM1s then something would appear to have been "altered" by Canon in the UG to the XM2 - yes? Maybe a call to Canon might get a fix to do what you want. My problem I've got with all of this is - can you "Preview" within a capture s/w package? I do have the XM2 on "Record" and yes I can hear motors turning inside. But no tape.

Grazie

Mike Watteau November 6th, 2004 06:05 PM

Tapeless using XM1(PAL)

Hi Rob........yes, your initial assumptions are correct....in effect we are converting old 8mm movies eventually onto DVD,s using a fixed filming situ. I have around 9000 feet of my family history circa 1950,s/80,s to do and commercial telecining is too expensive. I am also doing the same for one or two friends! Your other queries.........

1 XP
2 160 gig Lacie external harddrive.
3 Pinnacle Studio 9.
4 We start capture with Pinnacle 9.

Yes we can do all as normal using a tape in the camera but as previously discussed we are aiming to go tapeless if we can! I am dismayed by the absolute lack of info Canon are able to give in these areas..........maybe they are too worried about tape sales!!! In appreciation.............Mike W.

Roger Schuncken November 7th, 2004 04:53 AM

I've tried it with my old Canon DM-MV1 to record directly to my harddisks. It worked, video and audio, without a problem. I'm using ScenalyzerLive to record directly to my harddisks. (see http://scenalyzer.com ) and switched my camera to record mode. I would find it very strange if this didn't worked on a XM1 (or GL1).

To solve the problem of automatic shutdown, you could try to leave the cassette tray open. I used this trick in the past with a Panasonic MS4 and it worked on this camera.

Rob Lohman November 7th, 2004 09:05 AM

Jose: it is easy to say things like that, but the market just doesn't
work that way:

1. tape is the standard at this point in time (NO con/pro-sumer camera manufacturer has direct to harddisk instead of tape)

2. the camera would have a higher power consumption

3. the camera would cost more

4. people would start complaining why it still uses DV and not uncompressed. Then if they went uncompressed people would complain about not being able to edit it

5. they don't want to alienate the high end market

6. you can buy a harddisk recorder for DV camera's now, which you can use for any ((H)DV) camera you might buy or rent

Mike: it sounds like the problem is with Pinnacle 9. You might
want to try a trial version of www.scenalyzer.com or
the NLE Vegas from http://mediasoftware.sonypictures.com.
See if that works. Or record to tape as well, which might be a
good idea for the following reasons (I would do this personally,
even if it did work without tape):

1. a backup in case something happens to your harddisk
2. an easy method (the tape) to store the original footage quite safely without needing to resort to other forms of backup (like DVD's and splitting files etc.)

Mike Watteau November 7th, 2004 04:37 PM

Tapeless using XM1(GL1ntsc)

Thanx Guys...for all your input......during the next few days we will carefully implement your suggestions and report back the end results...........watch this space!!!!

Regards........ Mike Watteau

Mike Watteau November 16th, 2004 04:45 AM

Hi

Just to let you know Mike has not been in touch with you, but once again he is in hospital. He is having a rough trot at the moment, but hopefully will be out soon.

Regards Gina (Mikes other half)

Ken Tanaka November 16th, 2004 12:07 PM

Gina,
All of us here at DV Info truly wish Mike a speedy recovery and thank you for taking a moment to report back to us.

Best Regards,

-Ken Tanaka-