Time Code Beyond 07:59:59:29 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old November 1st, 2004, 04:32 PM   #1
Tourist

Time Code Beyond 07:59:59:29

Has anyone heard of this on the GL2? I had BetaSP tapes transferred to DV for Firewire input on my laptop. My first 7 tapes were fine, but when I got to tape 8 - with timecode hour 08 - the camera wouldn't recognize the time code. We did a test that had the TC change from hour 07 to 08, and sure enough at 07:59:59:29, it stopped! So essentially my GL2 won't recognize any tapes with TC hour 08 or higher.

Why is this? Is there something I'm missing in the menus? Or is this some weird engineering anomaly by Canon?

Thanks.
Tim Sheahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2004, 03:21 AM   #2
Wrangler

FWIW: 05:59:59:29 is the documented design limit on the GL1. Consumner DV camcorders start time code at 0 on each tape, and no MiniDV tapes go beyond 2 hours. Full size consumer DV tapes go up to ~4.5 hours at LP speed. PRobably a decision to save a few bits on counter chips - a penny here and there adds up on millions of units.

It is a bit (no pun intended) like the date/time clock chip in many 1980;s vintage PCs worked over an 8 year period.
Old November 2nd, 2004, 08:59 AM   #3
Tourist

Thanks Don - makes total sense. I'll just do the normal thing and go get a deck! Tim

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders