Poor quality 1488 stills - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old August 30th, 2002, 04:04 PM   #16
Warden

Hi Andy,

My remark about plywood in a Porsche was more succinctly made by Chris when he said the right tool for the right job. I do like Chris suggests and carry a small digital camera in my pocket. I gave up a long time ago trying to shoot both video and stills seriously. I never had the right tool at the right time (which my first wife never failed to point out). I think we're several years away from high quality stills out of a video camera. But stills will always take a backseat in a video camera and vice versa. The little Quicktimes I get out of my still camera are a joke. The manufactures aren't promoting the Quicktime features as much as they once were. However, the extreme magnification of the digital zooms is still prominently displayed on the packaging.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2002, 06:39 AM   #17
Woodyfang

does anyone know why stills shot onto tape would be better quality than those shot onto card?

>>My two problems with doing that are first, it interups the flow >>of the video on the tape, and second, the resolution would still >>just be NTSC 640 X 480.

when shooting onto tape, does the resolution choice not apply?
Hagop Matossian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2002, 12:36 PM   #18
Major Player

Chris,
I have the manual and have succesfully saved images to the card, but where can I download a good 16x9 matte, and then how do you get it from my PC (or Mac) to the chip, via the USB?

I havn't installed the Canon software because I never thought I would use it, so if this question sounds stupid that is why. Isn't the software mainly for stills, I assumed if I had an NLE I wouldn't need it.
Alex Dunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2002, 03:10 PM   #19
Obstreperous Rex

We need to find a 16x9 matte or get someone to make up one in its proper size and aspect ratio, and post it for downloading.

The GL2 comes with software for downloading and uploading stills via USB. There's a separate manual for it, downloadble in PDF format from http://www.canondv.com/downloads/manuals/GL2soft_NT_E.pdf -- the manual describes the upload and download process via USB cable.

Also, stills recorded to the media card will in general be of better quality than stills recorded to tape, not the other way around. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders