DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   NLE experience with XM / GL 2? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/3452-nle-experience-xm-gl-2-a.html)

Graham Bernard August 30th, 2002 06:00 AM

NLE experience with XM / GL 2?

Has anybody yet had any NLE experience with XM / GL 2?

For Microsoft, does the kit require/have other drivers, other than the MS generic camcorder ones that need to be installed? I'm currently running WinME.

Presently I'm using a neat little s/w NLE from Sonic Foundry: Video Factory - the cut down version of its big brother Vegas Video suite of NLE applications. It's bolted down and runs very smoothly.

I've been using the generic MS one quite happily and would not llike to mess things up. I suppose the alternate question I am asking is, has anybody had any "clashes" with the XM/GL 2 driver set (if installed) with the MS one? Phew got there in the end.

Eric Richmond August 30th, 2002 06:53 AM

Still not sure what you mean, but I'm a newbie myself.

I actually use Video Vegas 3.0, and it's excellent. I didn't have to install any 'native' GL2 drivers, I just plugged in the firewire cable, and started capturing.

HTH

-Eric

Graham Bernard August 30th, 2002 09:30 AM

Sorry - but you seem to have answered my question - has anybody had any problems? For you, you just plugged and played the Canon.

Thanks

Eric Richmond August 30th, 2002 11:12 AM

OK, I gotcha now

Yeah, I'm using Windows XP, and all I had to do was plug in the firewire cable, and it recognized the firewire port, and the canon gl2.

As a note however, I did install the picture software that comes with the GL2. So I'm not sure if that installed some drivers w/o me knowing

BTW, If you can swing the upgrade price ($199.95) from VF2.0 to Vegas 3.0, I'd highly recommend it. I started out on VideoFactory and made the jump. There is a tremendous amount of new functionality in Vegas.

Also, in the 4.0 release of Vegas expect to see full support for 5.1 Surround Sound mixing.

I actually just ordered the Noise Reduction 2.0 plugin from SoFo earlier this morning!!!

HTH

-Eric

Graham Bernard August 30th, 2002 12:23 PM

Thanks for that - yeah I really like VF. If others know if "other" GL / XM 2 drivers were imported, it would good to know. But as you are already using Vegas then maybe I could be lucky with VF not being messed about with the Canon software.

However on the upgrade pricing, I'm UK based and don't have the $199.00 upgrade option. In the UK you have to buy VV at the full-going price which is I think about £380.00GB pounds - what's that in dollars? About $500 I think... bit of a difference eh!

Maybe there is a way to get the US upgrade at the $199.00 price here in the UK - I don't know.

Jason Bagby September 2nd, 2002 07:30 PM

one reason i am jealous of windows users.

vegas video rules! When i dove into this thread, i quickly recognized that it pertained not to mac (which explains why there is concern about plugging something in and it not working- ha ha!) but then i saw that it was as much about vegas video as anything. I spent a few hours on a vegas video station at sonic foundry's booth at a convention in nashville, and it was awesome. i came away thinking it should replace premiere. alas its only a windows program and for once i am jealous of wintel owners. Grazie you shouldn't have to worry about plugging your xm2 into an xp machine, from what i have seen it is pretty stable and i am quite impressed. at the place i work we put a few nle's together and the tech support staff has put together some xp boxes and plugged dazzle products, sony cameras, and panasonic cameras into it without any hassles, and i don't think that dv control code has to be updated much if at all, you might have to see if there is a list of control modes to select from and see which one works, but i bet it works.
the xm2 is essentially the xm1 with some worthy improvements, but basic mechanics are the same.
also the price dif. in uk vegas video might be a result of being PAL version.
same reason why us upgrade wouldn't work on that sweet sweet program.
cheers.
jason.

Graham Bernard September 2nd, 2002 11:34 PM

Thanks for the reply Jason - I'm running WinME.

I don't understand that US VV would be NTSC specific - as the VF programme allows the editor to select PAL or NTSC from the outset. But, yes thanks for the warning.

I recently - yestrerday - took my WinME laptop to the supplier in London and was blown away at the connectiivity and ease with which the XM2 and the Laptop shook hands. My fears were put to rest.

Cheers

G

Jason Bagby September 3rd, 2002 10:28 AM

my other os is a jaguar

that said, I checked bhphotovideo.com to see what their v.v. prices were, all they have is the full version of 3.0 for $399.
if the software is the same for pal and ntsc then you should be able to shop around for it. b&h is like the wal mart of video stores, but any of the crooks in brooklyn or new jersey should have a volume dealer price and a pretty good selection.
happy hunting.
jason.

Graham Bernard September 3rd, 2002 01:33 PM

Jason you're a Star!

Thanks for the info.

G