DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   GL2 and remote outdoor use (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/34757-gl2-remote-outdoor-use.html)

Matthew Kennedy November 10th, 2004 10:27 AM

GL2 and remote outdoor use

Hello,
I'm new to this thread and since I found it, I've been doing nothing but reading posts. So far, I love it!

I use my Cammie primarily for filming climbing, and as you may suspect, climbing areas are not always a stones throw from 1) a car and 2) any sort of power source. I'm curious to know if anybody has any tips, specifically for lighting and sound.
The conditions I film in are typically during nice weather, although often times it may be overcast or partly cloudy. A lot of the places I go to have limited use of sunlight, as I can't really move the boulders around. Also, the boulders typically have trees and such things around that like to make distracting, albiet interesting patterns on the rock in the form of shadows. I'm typically anywhere from 1m to 10m away from my subject, and quite often the subject will be in the shade of the rock for the first part and end up directly in the sunlight - or even worse with the sun right above his/her head.

I need to keep things lightweight, any suggestions?

Thank You,
Matthew

Alex Ratson November 12th, 2004 12:17 AM

Hey Mat! I also shoot climbing with a GL2.
Using artificial hot lights in the hills is a bitch. The best compromise is a bounce board. This will allow you to reflect light in the direction that you want.
As for sound, well that all depends what you are after, although for general climbing shoots I find I use a Shot gun mic the most. My model of choice is a Senhizer Me 66 with a K6 power module. I have just recently started using the MKE-300 and am quite impressed considering its price. That might become my light mic for times I need something a bit more low profile. I have also used many different wireless mic systems although I find that they pick up a bit to much sound from jackets ruffling in the wind. A good wind sock for a mic is also essential for shooting in such environments. Royco make a few nice products.
I also would suggest a good wide angle lens. I am currently borrowing one from a friend although plan to buy a Canon WD-58H ASAP. I also am craving something even wider, maybe a fish-eye or a lens with a 135 format equivalent of 18-24mm.

Best Of Luck,
Alex

Matthew Kennedy November 12th, 2004 12:47 AM

Thanks Alex,
I'm most surely going to check out those mic recommendations. As for a wide angle lens, I want to find one with the least amount of distortion possible. I see so many climbing films that to closely resemble cheap ski/snowboard films and skate films. I'd like to make something that stands out both to climbers and film enthusiasts alike.
Again, Thank You

Matt