Canon image slightly "fat" compared to Sony at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old August 31st, 2002, 03:44 PM   #1
Major Player

Canon image slightly "fat" compared to Sony

I'm looking at several comparisons, and Barry Goyette mentioned it, but am I the only one who has a real problem with images of the GL2 and the XL1 looking fatter than the Sonys in regular 4:3 mode?
Can it be corrected?
Alex Dunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2002, 05:38 PM   #2
Trustee

Alex

What I've seen is that both canon, and sony's images are slightly inaccurate relative to horizontal and vertical proportion, and yes, the canon is slightly fatter than the sony. Most NLE's will allow you to adjust this, although you will end up with narrow black bands along the sides of the image (outside the viewable area of a television.

I have shot with the gl2 for about 2 months now, and even though I was the one who brought this up, I can honestly say I don't really notice any fatness in any of my footage when viewed on my television (except for a couple of shots of myself I saw yesterday!)

Barry
Barry Goyette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2002, 09:40 PM   #3
Major Player

I'm just worried about filming my wife and getting in serious trouble. Thanks for your help!
Alex Dunn is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders