DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   XM2/GL2 & Pinnacle editing hw/sw (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/3597-xm2-gl2-pinnacle-editing-hw-sw.html)

royfosroyfos September 8th, 2002 04:10 AM

XM2/GL2 & Pinnacle editing hw/sw

Can anyone help me regarding choice of Pinnacle package? I'm looking to go Studio 7 or perhaps 8 but am a beginner. Also, I'm confused by the many different solutions - I would prefer a solution with real-time rendering but have no knowledge of which pack this would be. Must be fairly simple for me until I get further down the line.
Also, does anyone have experience of problems with the XM2/GL2 in respect of editing systems?

Thanks to all those who have already helped me.

Many thanks

royfos

Marc Betz September 8th, 2002 11:23 AM

What are you trying to accomplish?

All dv. dv/av, output formats, output target audience etc.

There are dozens of choices. If you can be specific with your question, it's much easier to narrow down.

Many people here can help.

Marc Betz September 8th, 2002 11:25 AM

Oh, I forgot to mention that studio 7 has been replaced by studio 8.

Pinnacle makes tons of different types of software.

www.pinnaclesys.com

Keith Luken September 8th, 2002 07:55 PM

I have a GL2 and use Studio 8 (previously was using 7). I have not done much witht he GL2 yet, but have been using Studio for a few months now. I am very pleased with the ease of use of Studio and the power and value of the capabilities. I also have Hollywood FX with extra effects. One thing I DO NOT like about Studio is the MPEG rendering, it is not bad, but I use TMPEG to create my final DVD MPEG-2s, leaps and bounds better than Studio and much more control and flexibility. Typically what I do is import my DV video (even if analog I use a Canopus ADVC-100 to convert on the fly) then I can edit, add titles, music, sound dubs, effects, etc and resave it as DV. Then I use TMPEG to take that DV and generate the MPEG2. Studio operated the GL2 fine. One thing is it seems to take 3-5 seconds from the time you tell Studio to capture until it really captures, thus have the tape positioned accordingly. Studio is a system hog, I have a 2.2GHz, 1GB RDRAM system with 2 RAID 0 arrays of 2 80GB drives, thus 160GB per logical drive, just for the video. Studio brings my system to its knees! Studio 8 also does not seem to be as tuned as 7 was so it runs kind of sluggish. I assume a few service releases will fix that. Remeber DV is 13GB per hour so have plenty of disk!! For authoring DVDs I use ULEAD DVD Workshop (not DVD Factory, their lesser product). I swithced from DVDIt! 2.5.2 which was good, but not as user friendly and was VERY picky about the MPEG2 files it would work with. Studio is also nice becasue you can output your work as Real Video or Windows Media format as well for web sites or to embed in e-mails.
Hope this helps, if you want to know anything else just let me know.

royfosroyfos September 9th, 2002 02:51 AM

Thanks, Marc!

<<<-- Originally posted by Marc Betz : Oh, I forgot to mention that studio 7 has been replaced by studio 8.

Pinnacle makes tons of different types of software.

www.pinnaclesys.com -->>>
I really appreciate the help & advice.
You make a good point with your questions, and as yet I can answer only that I am keen to get stuck into editing and would like to be able to output to DV and VHS. DVD is a possibility perhaps later.
Many thanks again

royfos

royfosroyfos September 9th, 2002 03:23 AM

Many thanks, Keith!!

<<<-- Originally posted by keithluken : I have a GL2 and use Studio 8 (previously was using 7). I have not done much witht he GL2 yet, but have been using Studio for a few months now. I am very pleased with the ease of use of Studio and the power and value of the capabilities. I also have Hollywood FX with extra effects. One thing I DO NOT like about Studio is the MPEG rendering, it is not bad, but I use TMPEG to create my final DVD MPEG-2s, leaps and bounds better than Studio and much more control and flexibility. Typically what I do is import my DV video (even if analog I use a Canopus ADVC-100 to convert on the fly) then I can edit, add titles, music, sound dubs, effects, etc and resave it as DV. Then I use TMPEG to take that DV and generate the MPEG2. Studio operated the GL2 fine. One thing is it seems to take 3-5 seconds from the time you tell Studio to capture until it really captures, thus have the tape positioned accordingly. Studio is a system hog, I have a 2.2GHz, 1GB RDRAM system with 2 RAID 0 arrays of 2 80GB drives, thus 160GB per logical drive, just for the video. Studio brings my system to its knees! Studio 8 also does not seem to be as tuned as 7 was so it runs kind of sluggish. I assume a few service releases will fix that. Remeber DV is 13GB per hour so have plenty of disk!! For authoring DVDs I use ULEAD DVD Workshop (not DVD Factory, their lesser product). I swithced from DVDIt! 2.5.2 which was good, but not as user friendly and was VERY picky about the MPEG2 files it would work with. Studio is also nice becasue you can output your work as Real Video or Windows Media format as well for web sites or to embed in e-mails.
Hope this helps, if you want to know anything else just let me know. -->>>

This helps me a great deal, since I'm completely new to camcorders and video editing. Thanks for the tips on computing power. Currently I have only a P3 1Ghz with 512Mb RAM, so hardly adequate. I am planning an upgrade to the ASUS 850 E board using RAMBUS, but the memory modules are expensive. HOwever, this would seem to have the power.
Have you had any experience with Premiere, Keith? Is it as complex as it looks at first glance? Should I be looking to purchase the capture board as a first step, perhaps one that will support Studio as well as, say, Premiere? Forgive my ignorance, Keith.

Much appreciate your kindness & help! Please keep it coming.

Best regards

Roy

Keith Luken September 9th, 2002 06:05 AM

That is what I have the ASUS 850 based board , not the 850E. Nice board! I run 4 x 256MB Samsung PC800 RDRAM. With the 850E you can use PC1066 and get a 533Mhz bus P4 it will help a greeat deal. You don;t need 1GB or RAM, I rarely see my system use more than about 384MB, so 512MB will be more than enough! I have an ATI 8500DV AIW, which is real nice, but their drivers suck and are quirky with Studio. While image quality on ATI is great I might rethink it and go with NVIDIA eventually. You will be very happy with Studio, I doubt the high end people on this forum would rave about it, but for the beginner it is great. I was up and running with it in a few hours.

royfosroyfos September 9th, 2002 06:28 AM

Thanks, Keith

<<<-- Originally posted by keithluken : That is what I have the ASUS 850 based board , not the 850E. Nice board! I run 4 x 256MB Samsung PC800 RDRAM. With the 850E you can use PC1066 and get a 533Mhz bus P4 it will help a greeat deal. You don;t need 1GB or RAM, I rarely see my system use more than about 384MB, so 512MB will be more than enough! I have an ATI 8500DV AIW, which is real nice, but their drivers suck and are quirky with Studio. While image quality on ATI is great I might rethink it and go with NVIDIA eventually. You will be very happy with Studio, I doubt the high end people on this forum would rave about it, but for the beginner it is great. I was up and running with it in a few hours. -->>>

I am considering the new Matrox Parhelia graphics card - I've found their cards to be best for 2D work. For gaming it's another matter, and currently I have a Geforce Ultra, though not the latest version.
If I can afford it I shall go for the 1066 RAMBUS memory...Have you had any experience with Premiere, Keith? Do you know if there is a capture board that will support both Studio & other software such as Premiere?

Thanks for the help

Roy

Keith Luken September 9th, 2002 11:06 AM

I do love Matrox 2D quality, but I can't justify that much for just the 2D quality. ATI has comparable quality and 3D as well, as well as the tuner and capture capabilities. Their drivers are getting better, but still quirky. Actually PC800 will work well for you with minimal loss, the 533Mhz buss CPU is where the big boost comes in. Good luck and let me know how the Matrox work out.

No expierience with Premiere, I hear it is the one to beat, I also here it is not as user friendly. As far as capture boards, it is not an issue if you use 1394 fireware and if you have analog just get the Canopus AVDC100 whihc takes your analog inputs and converts them to 1394 based DV, it also has the advantage or locking the audio perfectly in sync, an issue with other analog capture boards.

Marc Betz September 9th, 2002 12:40 PM

You may want to check out sonic foundry's Vegas Video. It has the stupidest name I can think of but it is a great program. I think you can get it at a substantial discount from www.videoguys.com Much cheaper than the MFG site. There also a free demo download (vegas logo pops up in your output files) but it is well worth a look. A free demo is the cheapest way to kick the tires.

Search vegas video on this site for other opinions.

royfosroyfos September 10th, 2002 01:53 AM

Thanks Marc!

<<<-- Originally posted by Marc Betz : You may want to check out sonic foundry's Vegas Video. It has the stupidest name I can think of but it is a great program. I think you can get it at a substantial discount from www.videoguys.com Much cheaper than the MFG site. There also a free demo download (vegas logo pops up in your output files) but it is well worth a look. A free demo is the cheapest way to kick the tires.

Search vegas video on this site for other opinions. -->>>
Hi Marc

Many thanks for your advice! I shall certainly check it out! I've managed to install a trial version of Premiere but find it a little overwhelming for the beginner.
Thanks, again!

Roy