Leaving a tape in the GL2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old December 12th, 2004, 08:46 PM   #1
Major Player

Leaving a tape in the GL2

Will leaving a tape in the GL2 for longer periods of time have ill effects? Does the tape rest on the heads? I know the book says not to, but...

I ask since I use the GL2 frequently, and also being my 'carry around' camera, it's nice to have it ready to shoot at a moments notice.
Jeff Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2004, 01:45 AM   #2
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Hello Jeff,
The answer really has no relationship to the GL2 or any specific camera.

In general, it's a bad idea to leave a tape in a camera. The nearly inevitable hazard is that the tape will eventually permanently deform to its position in the deck, thereby creating bad spots on the tape. Leaving good grade tape (ex: professional grades) in for a day is unlikely to cause trouble. But it's good practice to remove them when the camera is not in use.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2004, 08:45 AM   #3
Major Player

Well now that can't be good at all. I'll do the tape and camera a favor from now on and unload the tape every night, thanks!
Jeff Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2004, 06:14 PM   #4
Wrangler

Leaving a tape in a camcorder for a few days is usually not a problem, no more that leaving a tape partly wound in its case, as far as tape life goes. Of course, leaving a tape in the camcorder for weeks or longer is not a good idea.

The significant issues are the possibility of a condensation cycle that could cause tape stickage in the mechanism, just enough to cause a problem, and the likelihood that someone might unintentionally tape over matrial you want to keep.
Old December 14th, 2004, 04:11 PM   #5
New Boot

<<<-- Originally posted by Don Palomaki : Leaving a tape in a camcorder for a few days is usually not a problem, no more that leaving a tape partly wound in its case, as far as tape life goes. Of course, leaving a tape in the camcorder for weeks or longer is not a good idea.

The significant issues are the possibility of a condensation cycle that could cause tape stickage in the mechanism, just enough to cause a problem, and the likelihood that someone might unintentionally tape over matrial you want to keep. -->>>

Could that be a reason for "remove cassette" problems?
Eugene Pesochin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2004, 08:27 AM   #6
Major Player

I almost always have a tape in the camcorder. I have a 4 months baby and need the camcorder ready at any moment to capture unique moments! :)
My wife, who is at home with the kid, knows how to power on and REC. :)
So tape & accu on camera at all times.
But I do shoot every other day. So, the tape does not stays on the same position...
But I don't think it matters. I would think the tape retracts into its case.. I don't know how could it be diferent if the tape is in the camcorder or outside...
Old December 15th, 2004, 08:45 AM   #7
Major Player

Never had a problem in 15 years.

I HAVE to have a tape in my camera 24/7, year round.

Camera formats include BetaCam, Hi-8, and Mini-DV. I have never, ever had a problem leaving a tape, ready to go, in the camera.

To add insult to injury, my cameras never leave my response vehicle unless I am shooting.

I know, I know...the book says and all that...

Always remember, the books are being written by folks that build the cameras in the lab, not by the folks that are actually using them in the field!

We "abuse" our equipment out of operational necessity. The bright side of all this is that while we are taking our equipment to the extreme, you all benefit from the knowledge gleaned from said abuse...at no extra charge!

We are either exceptionally lucky or the books are just extremely conservative with their recommendations. I think it's the latter.

You can read more at http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...threadid=24649

RB
Old December 15th, 2004, 11:53 AM   #8
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Well, Jeff, there you have it. Responses that run the gamut of possibilities.

Hope this helps! <g>

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders