Connecting a Sony SSM-14L1 to my set-up at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old December 21st, 2004, 04:45 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Connecting a Sony SSM-14L1 to my set-up

Hi Forum,

I have just bought a Sony SSM-14L1 and wish to use it for two purposes.

1. To work as a monitor on set. The monitor has a y/c input (and a composite input). Does anyone know if you can connect the SVideo output on my XM1 directly to this or will I have to use a converter? Worse case I could use the composite output using the breakout lead.

2. Connect to my editing set-up. I have an XM1 and a Dell inspiron 510m laptop. I am using Premier Pro under XP pro. Is it possible to get a firewire video output device to drive the monitor or is this type of set-up only possible with a desktop machine and a PCI pro video card?

Thanks in advance.

Alex
Alex Wren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2004, 02:47 PM   #2
Major Player

In reply to question 2, u could get an analogue to digital converter and vice versa, this would allow you to go from the firewire on the laptop, indirectly to the BNC input required on the back of the monitor.

I can’t remember if the XM1 had a converter function like this, but I don’t think it did. You can get a separate box for around £199, (real money) Jessops do one.

Edit: - Thought you wrote PMV-14L1, I don’t know the input on the back of the one you have, but the principles are the same.
Old December 22nd, 2004, 04:22 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Just a thought but if I connect the camera to the firewire and then the svideo on the camera to the monitor maybe that will do the trick?

Reading the premire help file you can set the output video to playback on the DV hardware.

Does anyone know if this will work?

Alex
Alex Wren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2004, 01:48 PM   #4
Major Player

I kinda mentioned that in the second paragraph, but I was doubting if the XM1 has analogue pass through, if it does, you can forget the external converter.

Should be easy enough to find out though. Just check in the manual.
Old December 23rd, 2004, 02:18 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Hi Richard,

It turned up today and I just plugged it in and it worked both as an on-set monitor and as a monitor for editing in Premiere pro.

Many thanks for your posts.

Alex
Alex Wren is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders