GL2 DC Power Part II at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old September 15th, 2002, 06:21 AM   #1
Andy Smith

GL2 DC Power Part II

So much for ANYBODY knowing what they are talking about on the DC car adapter charger/power for the GL2, or a alternitave to get power to the camera from a 12V source.

1. Cannon tech says this adapter uses same coupler that comes with GL2. Even refered me to page 147 in the manual. NOT TRUE. One coupler has male fitting, the other has female.

2. B&H salesman assured me this unit was indeed what I had to have to power the camera from a 12 volt belt. Also assured me the coupler from the adapter to the camera was the same as the one that came with the camera. As stated above, NOT TRUE

3. B&H salesman #1 told me there was no third party adapter that would do this, even after me telling him I had a NRG adapter that went from the battery belt directly to my Sony VX1000.

4. After ordering the Cannon DC car adapter from B&H and finding out my coupler didn't fit, I called B&H to find out what was up. B&H salesman #2 asked me why I didn't get a NRG adapter for it to begin with? (DUH, am I missing something here?) He assured me that there WAS such a thing for the GL2 and said they had five in stock. I ordered one and got a RMA on the Cannon unit.

Why is this such a hard thing for people to understand? Am I the only one that uses belt power for a all day shoot?

All this crap kept me from being able to use my new camera on a all day shoot, on location, this weekend. BUMMER!

While I'm on a roll, Sony's AC adapter will charge a battery in the adapter and another one in the camera at the same time as long as the camera power is off. Cannon should learn a lesson from this. Their, "pickle is a nickle" attitude of forcing their customer to have to buy additional propriority accesories is overkill that customers resent. At least I do!!

Stay tuned for a update on the NRG adapter when it comes in . . .
Old September 15th, 2002, 08:08 AM   #2
Warden

Hi Andy,

I've had similar experiences with B & H and have heard similar stories from my students about most of the large retailers. You may pay a little more at the smaller retailers, but in my experience, you get a little more knowledgable sales staff (a little).

I also don't find many users of battery belts for the XL1/GL series of cameras (or many mini DV cameras). Size, weight and expense are limiting factors for many users. The belt typically weighs more than the camera. It cost $300 to $500 depending on capacity and voltage. For the same money, or less, you can purchase several large Li-on batteries (BP945 or equivlent 6000mAH) and rapid charger with car adapter. This type of battery system is lighter and less cumbersum (no cables etc.) for most users. The XL1/GL series can be powered all day with 2 or 3 of these batteries.

The advantage to the belt as I see it (you may have additional uses I haven't tried) is for news and event photographers. They can power the camera and on camera lights from one power source. A large belt can power the camera and light for several news conferences or a long reception. The belt can also be attached to a tripod to provide additional stability.

I have a real nice NRG belt and I've used it for years. It is a hold over from my Betacam SP days. I still use it occasionaly, however, the 4 Lenmar 5500mAH batteries weigh 25% (at the most) of the belt.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2002, 10:44 AM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

Just as a side note, using the Canon dual battery holder and a pair of BP-945 batteries, you'll get more than fourteen hours of camera power. In the long run I think it's a less bulky and much less expensive solution.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders