MA300 XLR microphone adapter - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old May 5th, 2003, 10:49 PM   #46
Regular Crew

Canon MA-300 VS Beachtek DXA-4p

Hey guys/gals,

I just recently bought a GL2 and would like to know if you would recommend the Canon MA 300 or the Beachtek DXA-4p. I plan to use one of these for wedding videography. I am especially concerned about the interview portion with the guest.

The Canon seems to have better features than the Beachtek, but I am concerned about cords getting in the way when they are attached to the cam ( eventually I plan to buy a wireless system, but until then I will have to fight with the cords. Unless someones knows of a decent wireless handheld system for video that cost less than $300) The Beachtek seems to help with this problem by having a belt-clip mounting system.

Can someone please help.

Thank you.

A. Rodgers
Albert Rodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2003, 10:57 PM   #47
Regular Crew

Three things...

1) The Canon is not balanced.
2) The Canon does not have phantom power.
3) The Canon is a (relatively) flimsy piece of plastic. An "accident waiting to happen" -- as one reviewer put it.

That said, it works, it's more convenient, it makes the GL2 look kewl, and it's fine for most amateurs like myself (and you, if you have to ask ;-)

It's a toss-up. If you need the most functionality/flexibility, then the Beachtek-type device is the way to go. If you don't, then the Canon MA-300 is not too shabby.
Old May 6th, 2003, 04:34 AM   #48
Wrangler

The Azden VHF wireless system work OK most places for wedding work and are modest cost. If you get one, be sure it is one that offers two frequences as a hedge against interference. I've used the WDR-Pro receiver-based system. For interviews you can attach a WXT-pro transmitter to a handheld mic.
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2003, 09:36 AM   #49
Major Player

Go wireless my Sennheiser 500 combo came withe everything I need to shoot weddings and the sound is awesome. With this mic you don’t need the adapter. I use the Beachtek DXA-6 on my Sony and get great results. During the ceremony I put the lapel mic on the groom and for backup I place a shotgun mic in an inconspicuous place connected to my Sony Cam. (Using the Beachtek) During the reception I take the shotgun and use the Sennheiser plug on transmitter and hand it to the people that I interview. That way even if the DJ is loud you can still hear the interview.
Ron Little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2003, 09:35 PM   #50
Regular Crew

Thanks for your advice. It is greatly appreciated.

More advice is welcomed.

A. Rodgers
Old May 9th, 2003, 05:16 PM   #51
Regular Crew

I again thank you for your advice.

The final decision came down to the Beachtek, Studio 1 Pro or the Sign Video XLR Pro as a audio adapter for my GL2.

After much research and weighing pros and cons, I decided to buy the Sign Video XLR Pro from B&H. I feel that this adapter is reasonable priced and I like the fact that I have the option of mounting under the cam or using a belt clip.

The mounting under the cam option (wasn't option) is great because my wife is my business partner and usually wears a dress when shooting formal occassions (belt clip won't work.)

Beachtek was under cam only.
Studio Pro 1 was belt clip only.
Sign Video both.

The quality for all three adapters seemed similiar.

I truly appreciate this forum.

Thanks again.

Al
Old July 12th, 2003, 01:38 AM   #52
Old Boot

"Y" XLR adaptor for XM2 MA300?

I want to plug my Senni ME66 into BOTH XLR channels on the MA300. Yes, yes, yes I know this single track can be copied over in post. But I'm working with a guy that wants to have my work with audio recorded on both channels. I need to keep this simple.

Supplier in the UK - pref in London - yeah?

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2003, 03:25 AM   #53

Hello Graham,

Give Simon at Optex a ring.

http://www.optexint.com

- don
CREATE and NETWORK with http://www.bosfcpug.org
and also http://fcpugnetwork.org
Don Berube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2003, 07:29 AM   #54
Old Boot

Optex New Barnet?

Yeah - Thanks Don. I've also a call request with T2 at Uxbridge. Good people - d'yer know 'em?

Grazie
Old July 16th, 2003, 08:20 AM   #55
Old Boot

"Y" Spend £60pounds???

Just made up my own "Y" splitter with male XLR one end and 2 x female XLRs at other. Works as it should. Auto Audio balanced nicely. Manual Audio allows me to alter each left and right mono independantly.

One company wanted £60GBps - I did it for £9.58!

Now, I wonder on what I can spend the 50 quid I just saved? . . . ( was it ever thus )

Grazie ;-)
Old July 17th, 2003, 07:06 PM   #56
New Boot

Mounting Wireless Receiver

I have just purchased the Azden 500UDR system as my wireless mic for my GL2, along with the Canon MA300 adapter. Does anyone have a suggestion where on the camera to mount the wireless receiver? It came with some velcro to use to attach it, but there does not appear to be an obvious location on the camera that would be good. Should I try to mount it on the MA300? Or does someone have another suggestion? Thanks in advance for any help.

Jim
Jim Pruett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2003, 07:38 PM   #57
Capt. Quirk

I have the Azden WR model, and it came with an attatchment to mount it to the accesory shoe. Otherwise, I would just plug the reciever into a hard disk recorder, and stash it out of the way.
K. Forman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2003, 09:19 PM   #58
New Boot

Keith, I don't have a hard-drive recorder. My MA300 adaptor mounts on the accessory shoe, and while it also provides yet another accessory shoe, I don't find any connection on the receiver to mount it there. Maybe I will just use the velcro and attach it to the MA300.

Thanks,

Jim
Jim Pruett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2003, 01:36 AM   #59
Regular Crew

attach to the ma300?

keep in mind the antenna of the reciever need to be, or should be, in alignment with the transmitter. If the transmitter antenna is vertical, so should the receiver be. I mentioned in an email I had just got my 500 and now I've used it a time or two. I put the velcro on my 5500mAh battery but I don't trust it so I also run gaffer tape around it and onto the each side of my GL2 in areas that still allow me access. not the best of solutions but perfectly workable. Add the beachtek, the wd58 and yikes...it becomes quite the monster. :)
Old July 20th, 2003, 12:55 PM   #60
New Boot

Thanks for the replies. I ended up using the velcro and attaching the receiver to the MA300 and it worked great! I filmed a wedding yesterday - which was outside - and the audio was great! Last night I played with the lapel mic and had a friend walk upstairs in his house and all over on different floors, and the 500UDR receiver picked it all up perfectly. I am very happy with the model I chose. I also think that it was a good choice to mount the receiver on the MA300 adapter, since I will never use the receiver without the adapter. Anyway, thanks for the replies.

Jim
Jim Pruett is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders