GL2 & XM2 Battery / Batteries - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old November 13th, 2002, 10:19 PM   #16
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Higher charge capacity. Same size as the BP-945; otherwise it wouldn't be "compatible", would it? Approx. the same weight, too: if there's a difference it won't strain your back.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2003, 07:36 PM   #17
New Boot

CH-910 dual battery question

I am interested in obtaining the Canon CH-910 dual battery holder/charger for my GL2. I have never seen any info about how it actually attaches to the camera. (I have a picture of it on the XL1s, but not on the GL2.) How does it work with the GL2? Can one battery, or both, be charged while the camera is plugged in to AC?

I am a little confused by how it is designed to work on the GL2. Any info on this would be great.

Thanks

Jerry
Jerry Keener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2003, 07:48 PM   #18
Warden

The CH-910 is designed to attach to your belt, or tripod etc. There are no provisions for attaching it to the GL2. It comes with 2 cables, one to connect to AC for charging two batteries in sequence. The other cable connects to the back of the CH-910, above the belt clip. The other end has a molded connecter resembling a BP-900 series battery. It attaches to the GL2 instead of a battery, thus suppling power from the CH-910 through the battery contacts. Canon has a picture here

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2003, 09:18 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Does the supplied charger/powersupply charge the battery when it's providing power to the camera?
Old January 20th, 2003, 06:56 PM   #20
Warden

It does not. It's one or the other.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2003, 04:38 PM   #21
Major Player

Lenmark or Sabah Oceanic Batteries?

Hi,

All I presently have is the stock 1 hour or so battery that comes with the GL-2 and need to get one with longer life.Noticed that Sabah Oceanic has a BP-941 equivalent for like $45 shipped,however their website says the next shipment arrives in March sometime.Another alternative is to get the Lenmark 924lic which can be had a CDW for around 70$ without shipping.My basic question is twofold:Does the old maxim;"you get what you pay for" hold in this case?Is the quality and reliability of the Lexmark worth another $30 or so per unit factoring in the frt costs?Anyone out there try one or both brands?Naturally,Canon tries to maximize the profit on their accessories so I'm looking to purchase elsewhere.Please advise and comment.

Thanks in advance.

Bruce
Bruce Pelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2003, 05:44 PM   #22

Quote:
Does the old maxim;"you get what you pay for" hold in this case?
In this case, not entirely.

I think that you're actually referring to the Lenmar batteries which are BP-941-equivalents. They're very good, rated at 5550mAh of capacity.

I use Power 2000 batteries. These are BP-945 equivalents that feature 6000mAh of capacity.

In general, that milliampere-hours rating (mAh) is the measurement you're looking for. Either of these batteries will keep your camera rolling longer than the standard Canon batteries and will generally cost less.

Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

Old February 18th, 2003, 02:10 PM   #23
Trustee

Bruce,

I have 3 of the Lenmar batteries, and they are great. mAh is a good way to judge batteries, however these ratings come from the manufacturer...so buyer beware. I have two no name batteries that I bought with my xl1s that have 5000 mAh ratings and they are garbage...don't hold their charge, and will quit unexpectedly after less than an hour of shooting...I'd recommend going with a brand that others have had good experience with like the power 2000 and lenmar...remember these batteries are already pretty cheap...I bought my first canon bp-945 3 years ago for $200+ (it's still going strong). A $45 battery that doesn't work is no bargain at all.

Barry
Barry Goyette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2003, 07:27 PM   #24
Trustee

My vote goes to the Power 2000 batteries- 5 hours with LCD out......under $90- you can't beat it.
Old February 18th, 2003, 10:01 PM   #25

Barry has an excellent point; a high-cap battery is worthless if it dies after only a few charge cycles. I've been using six Power 2000 batteries for nearly 2 years with no apparent degradation in their capacity.

Old April 4th, 2003, 04:47 PM   #26
Major Player

Best Battery For GL2?

I can't seem to find any threads on the longest lasting battery for the GL2. I found a $79 6000 mAh battery from the battery barn. Any advice?
Bill Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2003, 05:07 PM   #27
Obstreperous Rex

Hard to beat the Canon BP945, in my opinion. Seven hours endurance with the LCD screen closed, nearly six hours with the LCD screen open.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2003, 06:17 PM   #28
Trustee

Power 2000- 4500mah and about 5hrs with LCD use!
Old April 4th, 2003, 10:43 PM   #29
Old Boot

Non-Canon HL945 battery here - £100.00GBp.

Features:

* Estimate 5hours work, side LCD closed

* Very fast re-charge times

* Top up at any time - No need to "discharge" battery

* The more I use it the longer the work time
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2003, 11:26 PM   #30
New Boot

GL2 Battery Woes

Hey Everyone-

I'm going to purchase a gl2 soon and I need to know the real battery lives of the add-on batteries you can buy for it. I've been all over the net trying to figure this out (yes I know there is another post about this issue, but I have a different question) and all of the sites that I go to seem to have different times for the battery life on the Canon BP series of batteries.

Canon's site states that the BP-915, BP-930 and BP-945 batteries have battery life (with the LCD off) times of 65 minutes, 135 minutes and 200 minutes respectively. Just about every other site on the net sees this differently. I've seen the bp-945 be as high as 8 hours of battery life and everything in-between. Chris Hurd also shares a different opinion "...Seven hours endurance with the LCD screen closed, nearly six hours with the LCD screen open..." (From his post on the "Best battery for the GL2 thread") I'm really at a loss here at who to believe about these battery life times.

So what I’m really asking here is for the no-bs evaluation of these batteries, from people that have first hand experience with them. I need to know for sure that I’m going to get the amount of battery life that I need for a project that I’m going to be doing soon that involves me shooting all day in Washington DC, without access to my charger, so I’m going to need a lot of battery life.

Any info would help relieve the headache I have from these battery issues right now!

Thanks for your time and knowledge

Kyle
Kyle Scharoll is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders