DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   GL2 & XM2 Battery / Batteries (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/37132-gl2-xm2-battery-batteries.html)

Graham Bernard March 7th, 2004 03:30 PM

I remove battery and tape. Call me old fashioned, but a tape in a device and a battery still connected . . . just don't add up as being a safe situation.

Grazie

Ignacio Rodriguez March 7th, 2004 03:48 PM

Leaving the battery, WA adapter and things like that attached can be problematic because vibration and sudden movements that would normally not harm the camera can cause some damage. The battery attachment assembly on a camera I used to have was losing contact becasue of this, I had to repair it.

Then again, I keep the WA and batt attached to my PDX10 most of the time. But when I know I will be on the road and walking a lot or travelling I tend to remove the battery and adapter.

Tim Frank March 23rd, 2004 08:50 PM

GL2/GL1 Batteries - Found at Wal-Mart Clerance!

This was the best section of the forum I figured to post this in since its where the people that use these batteries will look :)

Anyways I saw that Wal-Mart has a 2-Hr Off Brand Canon battery availiable for $15, its made by Polaroid but I've found no difference in quality or performance versus the standard battery, and I have 3 of them!!

Anyways just thought I'd let you know in case anybody wanted to run out and see if their Wal-Mart had any left!! The original price on them was $30.

Steve Luhr March 25th, 2004 07:52 AM

Thanks, I might get a couple. Steve

Honglin Sun March 25th, 2004 10:02 AM

Hi can you give more specific info on the battery? How is that work with Canon charger? Anyway good find.

Ming Dong March 25th, 2004 04:39 PM

I found BP-915 clones at my local Walmart

But they were regular price. They did have some other batteries on sale, but only $5 off. You lucked out!

Tim Frank March 25th, 2004 06:16 PM

They were Polaroid BP-915 2 hr clones. They had a rack of polaroid batteries cleranced...guess I did luck out!! I have it working fine with my universal charger and I've tried it on my school's Canon chargers, works fine.

Brian Kirkey March 26th, 2004 01:46 PM

Hello everyone,

I was lucky and found 6 of them for $12.00 each at a PA Wal-Mart when I was on a business trip the first week in March.

They all charged just fine with my Canon GL1 Charger. When I returned from my trip; I put them on my Battery Analyzer and they all exceeded the Specs of the Canon BP-915 Battery.

They come with a full replacement warranty (info in package you can read before you buy through SAFT America) and Wal-Mart will refund your money as long as you have receipt and original packaging.

They are great "just in case" Batteries for those of us who have larger batteries. I am looking for more.

Stacey Trim April 23rd, 2004 08:35 AM

gl2 battery 7.4v?

I have a quick question I hope someone can help me. I just bought my gl2 and I bought an extra off brand battery (bp945). When I received it in the mail today the voltage was 7.4 and not 7.2v. Does anyone know if this will damage the gl2? I tried calling canon and all they could tell me is that if it is not a canon product, they can not tell me anything.

Ken Tanaka April 23rd, 2004 09:35 AM

7.4v will be fine, Stacey. 7.2v is the nominal voltage required by the GL2 but, in fact, the actual voltage batteries deliver will vary as they discharge. The 7.4v rating is normal for these batteries.

Have fun!

Stacey Trim April 23rd, 2004 11:00 AM

thank you Ken

Dennis Parker April 25th, 2004 07:17 PM

Stacey, I had the same concern/question.....

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21399

A lot of friendly fellow GL2'ers around here!

:)

Jeff Price April 26th, 2004 02:23 PM

Exploding batteries?

I was recently looking through Canon's GL2 site and there was a note warning about the use of non-Canon batteries in Canon chargers. The site stated that some batteries had leaked/exploded because they lacked a charge-regulating device. There was no other information as to which companies batteries had failed except to recommend that you only use Canon batteries.

Any ideas as to which after-market batteries are causing problems?

Frank Granovski April 26th, 2004 04:10 PM

Perhaps contact Canon and ask. I never heard about this sort of thing.

Don Palomaki April 26th, 2004 04:16 PM

I've not read of any issues with camcorder batteries to date in many years of lurking bulletin boards, and web forums. The main issue mentione dis shorting the battery terminals, which can cause high curents and start fires.

My guesss would be early production Li ion battries, those produced before the technology reached its curent level of stability, and perhaps some cheap no-name generics.