DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   GL2 & XM2 Battery / Batteries (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/37132-gl2-xm2-battery-batteries.html)

Marco Leavitt April 26th, 2004 04:22 PM

I have two gigantor Lenmar batteries that I've used in Canon's charger for years and never had a problem. I think this might be the usual lawyer double talk.

K. Forman April 26th, 2004 04:29 PM

Cannon certainly would not recommend any battery, other than the factory battery made for your camera. No matter how much more expensive the Cannon battery is. That is like taking the butter from their bread.

Jeff Price April 26th, 2004 04:54 PM

I certainly agree with all of this (and have been using two after-market batteries without problem). I just hadn't seen the note before - http://www.usa.canon.com/html/accessorynotice.html

It's possible that it has been present on the site for a while and I just missed it.

Steve Olds April 27th, 2004 06:56 AM

Canon has to make the statement to "CYA". And yes at one time a battery has probally caused this problem while being recharged some where in the rechargeable battery industry. The OEM or after market mfg. or who ever you buy a battery from will or should make some statement like that on their products.

I worked for a OEM (not in the DV field) and all Mfgs. make statements like this about the products they sell Vs. after market parts (i.e. battery). The same that a lawnmower mfg. will tell you that the OEM replacement blade cuts above and beyond the after market lawnmower blades that are for avil. for your lawnmower.

Bottom line just read all warnings because as Don stated battries can cause fires. If you think not put a 9 volt battery in your pants pocket with some change. That little battery when shorted out gets HOT! I know.

Steve

Roger Golub April 27th, 2004 09:35 AM

There has been a lot of press on "exploding" LiIon batteries in the press. Mostly concerning off brand cell phone batteries (Nokia got some bad press about this).

It is indeed due to faulty construction in the batteries. Alternately, a bad charger could do it. Federal Express now considers LiIon batteries "hazardous material" and won't air ship them. This is annoying if you live on an island. Recently, I tried to buy an EPIRB (Emergency Personal Locator Beacon) for my boat, but FedEx wouldn't ship it. Rather amusing that a "safety device" is too dangerous to ship.

Of course, this has made me look at my little Palm pilot sitting happily in my breast pocket with a whole new light.....

Don't worry, be happy. Don't put your tounge on the terminals.

Richard Tamayo May 2nd, 2004 08:15 PM

GL2 battery

I need the biggest battery I can get for the GL2. I am going to do a wedding. What would you suggest for a battery,model,where to buy at a good price?

Ken Tanaka May 2nd, 2004 09:02 PM

BP-945 -compatibles, such as those available from Lenmar and Power 2000 are the largest capacities you can get within the Canon-compatible realm. You can get them from our sponsors; the pricing will not vary widely anywhere for these quality batteries. I recommend getting two or more.

Yohann Kouam May 6th, 2004 05:53 PM

you gotta be kidding me(battery issue)

i'm about to buy a gl-2 and i was flabergasted to discover that canon's longest batteries lasted only 3hours a half i mean i used to own a sony pd100 and i had like a 9hour battery. is sony far above from its competitors in that field?

is this canon's longest battery?:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...&O=&sku=312106

Federico Dib May 6th, 2004 06:17 PM

I have a non canon brand battery for my XM2 that lasts about 7 hours.

I´m sure the biggest of the original Canon should last about the same.

Ken Tanaka May 6th, 2004 07:43 PM

Lenmar and Power 2000 are two of the leading 3rd party battery manufacturers. These BP-945 class 7.2v batteries for the GL2 (and XL1S) will generally deliver 3-6 hrs of continuous operation DEPENDING on the nature of your usage of the camera. Battery longevity on the GL2 is not an issue for the vast majority of people, professionals and consumers.

If you need larger capacity you'll need to spend some money for a 12v battery system, such as Anton Bauer's system.

Yohann Kouam May 7th, 2004 11:08 AM

what long life battery would you recommand(at least 6 hours) for a reasonable price? thanx

Boyd Ostroff May 7th, 2004 11:16 AM

Yohann, you were probably using the Sony NP-F960 on your PD-100. That is an exceptional battery which gives me close to 8 hours on my VX-2000. One of my disappointments with the PDX-10 (which you have asked about elsewhere) is that it uses a different series of batteries and the largest one (NP-QM91) only lasts about 4 hours. Anyone who has used one of those 960 batteries will be spoiled when switching to another type of camcorder! ;-)

Graham Bernard May 7th, 2004 11:37 AM

12 volt Ken?

Ken, how do you put "a 12v battery system, such as Anton Bauer's system." onto our 7.2 volt Canon Camera XM2 units .. interested . .

Grazie

Ken Tanaka May 7th, 2004 02:01 PM

There are several paths.

One is to use an NRG battery belt and get the NRG 12-7.2v transformer/adapter.

Other manufacturers such as Anton Bauer and Bescor sell various adapters and 12v battery configs such as "pouched" battery packs. You could also just go with the Anton Bauer's Stasis brace and mount AB batteries to that brace.

Many roads lead to Rome.

Graham Bernard May 7th, 2004 02:13 PM

Ken please email off thread about this . . I'm very interesed in the Stasis ! ! ! ! More to the point how would I connect a system to the XM2 . . ? I've tried the Stasis and truly I think I'm in love . .! Again!

How's your review of the other "support"?

Grazie