Shooting 16x9: the pros and cons at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old September 18th, 2002, 12:50 PM   #1
Major Player

Shooting 16x9: the pros and cons

This is a four part question for you pros out there. I keep reading that if you shoot with the 16x9 mode on (say on the Sony with it's black bars) that you lose resolution.

1. Does that mean actual resolution loss, or are you just refering to the fact that the image is 75% as tall?
2. Does it make a difference in the NLE system as far as compression and rendering (takes longer, etc.)?
3. Isn't the black bar still considered part of the image?
4. How are the black bars obtained in the Sony, and is the process any different than using a matte on the GL2 by way of the memory card?
Alex Dunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2002, 04:31 PM   #2
ThreeSixtyProductions

Something I would be interested in knowing is what the demand for 16:9 aspection is from broadcasters and what would be acceptable for "broadcast quality" especially in regards to 16:9.

I want to make some travel documentaries and the PD10P with sony's "real 16:9" mega pixel claim has caught my eye.
Old September 23rd, 2002, 01:22 PM   #3
Major Player

Chris . . . Barry . . . Anyone? In reference to resolution and later rendering complications, using a GL2, I just need to know if I'm better off recording a full 4:3 image and just crop it in the NLE (soft matte) or record to tape with a hard matte (by way of the memory card)? Thanks.
Alex Dunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2002, 04:40 PM   #4
Trustee

Alex, I'm a newbie with no experience but I would think that if you use the 16:9 guides and recorded in full 4:3 then you would have the option of a form of "Pan and scan" because if you had shot that wasn't framed vertically correctly you could adjust it up or down. Dunno if that's much of a benefit..
Aaron Koolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2002, 07:51 AM   #5
Major Player

Yeah, that technique is called "soft-matte" and lots of big producers do it. But I'd still like to know what the so-called effects are of using a hard matte versus Sony's digital black bars. My soul needs to know.

It makes sense that if Sony is just turning off the top and bottom 12.5% of the pixels, then yes it would cause problems rendering the image in an NLE because it thinks it's a 16x9 image with only 320 or so lines of res. But, is taking a picture of the black bars in the Canon any different?????? In my mind it is, but I want to hear it from someone who knows.
Alex Dunn is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders