Smaller camera to learn with... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old September 18th, 2002, 01:06 PM   #1
StreetShot

Smaller camera to learn with...

I sent this note privately to Chris and felt it would be ok to share it here. I definitely will give the GL2 a hard look soon, but I want a knockabout camera for my bag to learn the medium and play with FCP2.

Nearly bought the Optura 100MC then I read Chris' posts about the Optura PI...and it has changed my mind. I wanted a small/palmable minidv to stick in my work bag...I'm a photojournalist in Boston and want to play with the minidv medium (got FCP2 and a mac so I feel ready to do something). While I would love a GL2 it just competes size-wise with everything else I carry so size is key to the decision...and I nearly popped for the 100MC.

So here is a question. You feel its superior in every way to other 1-chip cameras, I really got that from the posts you wrote, how durable is it and how does it compare in size to the 100MC? The downloadable .pdf broshure on the Canondv site doesn't really give a sense of the size...it could be lots bigger than the Elura or Optura 100MC or it could be the same size...tough to tell from the Canon website. Any other thoughts about the camera would be welcome.

Oh, one last thing. I want to start using the best tape out there, broadcast quality if available. I hear that the Panasonic tape with an "MQ" designation is what I should look for...something about lubrication on the tape or whatever. I'm not interested in saving pennies on tape, just want to start with the best and stick with one brand and type. Which one is it?

Thanks man, awesome site and a true resource to our community....and this is open to anyone else who would like to chime in...to everyone, thanks!

Peace,

Michael Hintlian
see my work at: http://www.hintlian.com
Old September 18th, 2002, 06:15 PM   #2
Outer Circle

The new Optura 200MC is even smaller. But the 100 has a wider lens and a larger CCD. The optical image stabilizer on all these cams is a big plus. The Panasonic PV-DV852 (MX8 for PAL), is also a great 1 chip, but it is a larger cam.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2002, 06:03 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I'd still recommend an Optura 100mc if you can find one. It has the same resolution as the GL2 ( according to Videomaker Magazine - 515 lines ) and the footage will match up well when you finally get a GL2. That was my reasoning anyway ( I have both cams myself ). The Optura 200 my be good to, but I haven't seen any reports yet.
Craig Peer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2002, 07:53 PM   #4
Warden

I will second Chris' opinion of the Optura Pi http://www.canondv.com/archive/optura_pi/index.html Canon's site has info you can down load about sizes and all. The LCD screen is gorgious and the image matches the XL1 series in most conditions. It also uses the same battery that Canon's digital SLRs use. I regret selling mine at times, but I just wasn't using it.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2002, 09:49 AM   #5
StreetShot

Many thanks for your responses. I think I have my answer and a direction to take.

Namaste,

Michael Hintlian
Old October 4th, 2002, 04:09 PM   #6
Tourist

Hi Michael,

Have you reached a decision yet?

I'm also wrestling with the same one: which Optura to buy.

Dan
Dan Honemann is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders