JUST PURCAHSED a GL-2. need help/info at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old January 12th, 2005, 03:27 PM   #1
Major Player

JUST PURCAHSED a GL-2. need help/info

Hey guys! I'm upgrading from a Optura 300 to a GL-2. I film for my buddys dvd, and i also just enjoy filming. But this is a pretty big upgrade for me and I was looking for some tips and tricks from you guys!

So shoot them my way!
Old January 12th, 2005, 03:35 PM   #2
Major Player

Stick with the same brand of tape. (Sony Premium in this case)

Don't use your GL2 for capturing/rewinding/fastforwarding (extra wear on tape transport)

Set the custom key for the optical stabilizer option (already setup in your case ;) )

Don't shoot in Auto Mode :)

PS, He bought my GL2
Old January 12th, 2005, 06:18 PM   #3
Major Player

^ just for reference are they one of the best tapes to use?

I was told that Fuji MiniDV Digital Video Cassettes
(Model: DVC 60) were also good....

I have used them in my Optura 300.

What are some tips for low-lighting shooting also, day time(sunny), etc.

keep em coming :)
Old January 12th, 2005, 06:52 PM   #4
Major Player

1. Buy a UV lens to protect your camera's lens.
2. Better video always comes with manual exposure and white balancing.
3. Have fun.
Bob Harotunian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2005, 07:20 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Sony tapes are probably just as good as Fuji. I've shot with both (on two different cameras, never mixed) and have had virtually no problems with either.

Probably best just to stick with Sony since the camera has been using those tapes already.

Ditto to what Bob said, learn how to use the white balance as quickly as possible, and get comfortable with the controls.

Levelse7en@gmail.com
John Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2005, 10:49 PM   #6
Major Player

Patrick,

Congratulations! I'm sure you'll enjoy your GL2.

First, I'll reaffirm that whatever tape brand you choose - stick with it.

Second, my preference (and many others) is to use the Panasonic MQ (or at least PQ) tapes. You can only buy these from professional video supply stores (Pro Tape, B&H, etc). Note that the MQ/PQ are quite different from the Panasonic DVC consumer tapes.

I personally would stay away from Sony tapes because Sony is the only manufacturer of mini DV tapes to use a wet lubricant. Although it's not clear, many think this can lead to "gumming" up the tape heads in many cameras (except for Sonys), particularly if you ever use any other brand tape in the same camera/deck. IMO, it's just not worth the risk. Others will have different opinions. Some people love Sony tapes :)

But I definely would NOT go for the cheapest tape you can find. If you shop around you'll find the best tapes are only $1-2 more than the cheap ones (excluding the ultra expensive super premium/pro Sony tapes). You spend a lot of money and time to shoot. Sometimes, like with events, you can't shoot it over if the tape messes up. So, don't risk it just to save a buck or two.

If you do decide to change tape brands, run the Panasonic tape head cleaner for about 10 sec before using the new tape. If you have any problem with the new tape, run the cleaner again. But don't keep running the cleaner multiple times in a row -- this will wear out your heads. One word of caution, any time you switch tape brands, you run the risk of gumming up the heads so much that you will have to send it into Canon for cleaning/repair. This will cost $250-$300. But, I've actually switched twice (before I knew which tape brand to use), and just running the tape cleaner worked fine. If you have a problem, you can post here, and call Canon tech support (no charge).

Third, test and experiment as much as possible with your camera. Don't be afraid to try new things. Keep a good log of your tests/experiments. Learn the camera manual inside/out. Re-read it after you've been using the camera for a month or two. IMO this is the best/fastest way to learn your camera, and to learn how to shoot. There are a number of good books and DVDs on all aspects of filmmaking and videography. Check out the Read About It forum on this site to get some good suggestions on books. You can also search on Amazon.com, and check the buyer reviews.

Fourth, hangout a lot in these forums. A LOT of expertise and experience is here (not me, I'm still learning too :) ). Make good use of the SEARCH engine here.

Fifth, have FUN! That's what it's all about!

Shoot for the cut,
Pete
Pete Wilie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2005, 04:36 PM   #7
Major Player

cool thanks! still looking for some detailed tricks/tips.

any recommendations or accesories and light attachments?

and can i purchase insurance for the camera?

EDIT: SONY PREM. Tapes......DO THEY COME IN BOTH PLASTIC? CAN I FIND THEM @ BEST BUY OR SOTRE LIKE THAT, OR DO THEY NEED TO BE BOUGHT ONLINE?
Old January 15th, 2005, 05:04 PM   #8
Major Player

why not shoot in auto mode?

Hello Jeff Toogood,

May I ask

(1) why you advised Patrick not to shoot in auto mode?
(2) what product do you recommend for capturing/fast forwarding/rewinding the GL2?
(3) Does B & H send out a comprehensive manual with GL2 PAL?

Brendan
Brendan Marnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2005, 06:52 PM   #9
Obstreperous Rex

Brendan

1. Everybody has their own favorite shooting mode. I don't mind Auto at all.

2. I'm one of those who thinks there's nothing wrong with using your camcorder as a VCR. After all, how often do you do this. Not very often for me. So it's not going to hurt the camera. If you're capturing all the time, then consider any cheap DV camcorder as a capture device, such as the bottom-nd Canon DV camcorder models.

3. The manual which Canon includes with the XM2 (PAL version of GL2) is no different in scope than the NTSC version. You can download a copy in advance from the Canon UK site if you wish.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2005, 05:18 PM   #10
Major Player

Thank you Chris.

I've tried repeatedly and failed to download XM2 manual on Canon's UK website. They offer some brochures but I can't see mention of any manuals.
Brendan
Old January 16th, 2005, 05:45 PM   #11
Old Boot

Why shoot in Manual? . ..

Excellent Tutuorials here to answer your question ... from a workshop series including this by Pieter de Vries ACS

http://www.sony.com.au/articles/arti...articleId=3500

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2005, 06:01 PM   #12
Major Player

i think im going to get the wide angle from canon, does anyone recommend a light for the acces shoe?

and what type of tapes? i have seen two different mini dv prem. brands. one in a red case n one in a blue case. can someone get me a part #?
Old January 16th, 2005, 06:13 PM   #13
Major Player

Manual vs Auto

Grazie, that IS a great set of tutorials by Pieter de Vries. I just ran across them last week.

Brendan, as to the benefits of shooting in manual mode, the following thread provides a good discussion: Manual or automatic. Most professional videographers I have read recommend manual exposure, focus, and audio levels whenever possible.

There are some exceptions, like "run & gun", where you might need to employ the auto modes. Also, in the beginning, when you're just learning to shoot, it may be better to use auto so you can concentrate on framing and balancing the shot until these become second nature.
Pete Wilie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2005, 12:37 PM   #14
Major Player

manual V auto is proving to be very useful thread already and I am much obliged to you for the reference and the insights you offer there also. Must have a look at the Tutorials by Pieter de Vries. Thank you Pete.

Brendan
Old January 17th, 2005, 03:00 PM   #15
Major Player

what about me. this is my thread :P

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders