recording from VCR question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old January 18th, 2005, 05:05 PM   #1
New Boot

recording from VCR question

Hello!
I love this board, it's very educational...
I wish to use my GL2 to record VHS videos to DV. The GL2 manual advises to hook up your VCR to the GL2 via an s-video output & the left/right audio outs.
However, i cannot locate any VCR's that feature an s-video output. All the new VCR's have the standard cable out & the 3 jack audio/video outputs.
Does anyone have advice on how to hook up a standard VCR to the GL2 without the s-video connection? Is there a conversion cable or a cable that can utilize the 3 jack output?
I had connected the 3 prong cable that came with the camera but i did not get a picture. The GL2 manual advises to disregard the video out & connect the audios only. So i am lost!
Thanks in advance, Josh
Joshua White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2005, 11:46 PM   #2
Tourist

I've recorded an analog camcorder to my GL2. You'll need the cable that came with your camera. One end plugs into the DV input/output port of the GL2 and the other end is the 3 RCA jacks (That plugs into the vcr). When you are recording, you'll be able to see & hear the video, on the GL2. Look into your GL2 User Manual on page 96 for the direction.

Good luck!
Willy
Willy Woo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2005, 02:48 PM   #3
New Boot

make sure you go into your vcr menu and turn on the av-dv, analog-digital converter on to record from vhs to dv
Rob Lyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2005, 06:28 PM   #4
New Boot

thank you kindly all, both your tips solved my problem.
:)
Joshua White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2005, 08:36 AM   #5
Capt. Quirk

Joshua- I picked up a nice JVC S-VHS at Circuit City for about $80-120... forget how much, it's been a year or two ;) Believe me, I had to search to find it, but it can be done.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders