GL2 Filter at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old September 20th, 2002, 10:00 PM   #1
Major Player

GL2 Filter

OK I have seen some posts which urge to go naked on the lens, but under some scenarios I just get too nervous, especially out doors with wind and dirt and such. Sure glass is tough, but I am paranoid under some scenarios. With that said I am looking at the B + W US Haze 010 filter in multicoated. The question I have is the difference between the regular and slim filter. I understand the slim will prevent vignetting, but is that an issue on the GL2 at its widest or should I opt for the slim filter and get a new lens cap? It appears all their slim filters do not have outer threads, whihc i assume means the standard lens cap is no good. I am looking to do the same with my slumming ZR45MC. Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Keith Luken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2002, 10:49 PM   #2
Warden

The slim is only necessary on ultra wide angle lenses. GL1/2 does not need the slim. I've been doing some tests with filters, judging flare and which filters do the best controlling or adding to it. B + W is probably the best that I've tested. I'm one of the guys that suggest going without filters also. Living and working in Florida I do alot of work near the beach (shooting nesting birds) and I only use filters out necessity. If it's sunny or near water cir. pol. and or ND. But if it's overcast the filter is probably off. Think of it as shooting in the green box/all auto mode. Your probably not going to get the best picture shooting that way. However, if your after every last bit of performence your equipment can give, only use the filter if the shot requires it.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2002, 02:48 PM   #3
Outer Circle

A slim line filter is just smaller. I prefer these, actually. And I do like the idea of leaving a UV/haze filter on to keep the lens clean and protected. B+W, Heliopan, make high quality filters, regular and "slim line."
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2002, 05:55 PM   #4
Major Player

Thanks! I ordered B+W regular multicoated yesterday online, hopefully they will come later this week. Thats would be my only negative about buying from Zotz Digital. They were excellent with making sure I bought decent stuff and didn't buy any crap, yet for UV fliter they sold me Tiffen and I asked for polarizing filter and wound up with a Tiffen Black Mist Pro.
Old September 23rd, 2002, 08:20 PM   #5
Outer Circle

The Tiffen UV is just fine, and the Tiffen Black Pro Mist is the #1 warming filter used here in Vancouver for DV cams. Personally, I prefer Cokin warming filters (Sunsoft, 81A, 81B), and the Zeiss Softars from Heliopan. Both Heliopan and B+W use Schneider glass (Germany - Zeiss).
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2002, 08:31 PM   #6
Major Player

Thanks for the info, I have read mixed reviews of Tiffen filters so I am going to go with B+W as they consistently get great reviews. I'll keep the Tiffen as a spare in case of emergency. Heliopan was harder to find in stock online.
Old September 24th, 2002, 07:56 AM   #7
Major Player

You don't want to use those Tiffens, in fact, you should send them to me right now so you don't ruin any more footage.

(just kidding, Tiffens are great!)
Alex Dunn is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders