DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   About to buy a GL-2....two questions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/3837-about-buy-gl-2-two-questions.html)

Brian Shannon September 22nd, 2002 02:04 PM

About to buy a GL-2....two questions

Hi, I'm buying a GL-2 soon, and I just have two questions:

1) Has anyone purchased a GL-2 from BuyDig.com? They seem to have the lowest price, and most of the comments I've seen indicate they have a good reputation. But I'd like to be sure before I order, so if anyone could advise me on this, I'd really appreciate it.
p.s. Does BuyDig supply the entire kit, or just the camera itself?
(I've heard horror stories from unpleasently-surprised buyers, so I'm trying to be careful ;) .)

2) About how big is the GL-2 in relation to the GL-1? I honestly can't tell by any of the pictures I've seen of it. It seems to be longer than the GL-1, but does it strike anyone as being a "big" camcorder?

If anyone could help me out, that would be great. Thanks!

Jim Sauza September 22nd, 2002 02:23 PM

Here are some ratings on buydig. If it were I, I'd stick with one of the sponsers of this site.
Jim
http://www.resellerratings.com/seller2065.html

Barry Goyette September 22nd, 2002 02:36 PM

Brian

The gl2 is about the same size as the gl1. (it's either a half inch longer, or shorter..I can't remember. My gl1 is on loan so I can't put them side-by-side.)

I wouldn't call it a big camcorder, but it is certainly larger than the average 1-chip consumer model.

Barry

Chris Hurd September 22nd, 2002 02:43 PM

"Lowest price" seldom means best value. In fact, usually quite the opposite. Consider paying the extra $2 to purchase from an honest, reputable dealer such as any of our site sponsors, who will take care of you after the sale. You spend the money one time, but you'll need support for the camera as long as you own it. The low-ballers don't ever want to hear from you again. Something to keep in mind,

Alexander McLeod September 22nd, 2002 02:54 PM

After searching the various internet sites and my local shops I have come to the conclusion that buying a GL-2 from one of the sponsors of DVinfo is the best way to go. In some cases there is a considerable price differential, i.e., higher with my local shops but most importantly I feel confident that I am getting the best advice from the sponsors of this website. This is a great community and I feel good about venturing into a higher end of the camcorder mileau with the insights I have received here.
Sandy

Harry Baxter September 22nd, 2002 07:28 PM

I bought a GL-2 from buydig.com. Very pleased with the service and product. Everything came new and factory shipped - nothing missing (They score high on ratings sites for a reason.).

I bought directly off the web; many times when you buy a GL-2 from a company at such a low price on the phone, they'll try to load you up with accessories (Buydig's battery prices are ridiculous.). You usaually get the best deal on the camera by shopping around, but B&H usually has the best prices on accessories.

BTW, the New York boiler room "stores" score low on ratings sites for a reason, also. Their low-priced cameras are foreign with no warranty (A lot of people find this out too late.), so they make up for your "savings" by hard-selling high priced accessories AND special "warranties".

Jim Sauza September 22nd, 2002 08:23 PM

HI Harry

Actually buydig rated a 7, and there seemed to be quite a few people complaining in the video cam areas.

Its good that you had a good experence with them.

I see that you joined this board yesterday, so welcome aboard. Feel free to post on " these are the people in the neighborhood" section.

Give me an e-mail, would like to talk. Odd i tried to e-mail you and could not,...wanted to ask you something off topic.

all the best

Jim

Harry Baxter September 24th, 2002 12:08 AM

Sorry about the no email thing. I registered in a hurry and chose that option out of habit (avoiding SPAM), and I can't seem to go back and change it.

Anyway, I have bought 3 GL-2's: 1 for me and 2 for a church. I got mine from B&H, and the church's from two different places: Norman Camera in Michigan and BuyDig (very pleased with both - no hassles). I was a little skeptical about BuyDig when I called them the first time (got put on hold FIVE times while the salesman checked to see if it was "in stock"), so they lost my business that day. But, it was a breeze buying it off the web - they just make a lousy first impression on the phone - and I hope someone at BuyDig is reading this!

------

I'm really happy to find this forum - VERY informative. Someone on another forum (GL1-411) linked me here.

Happy to be here. Thankyew. Thankyewverrrymush...

Tom Christensen September 25th, 2002 12:17 AM

Also, check with Zotz at www.zotzdigital.com as mentioned in the sponsors.

I just bought one last week from them. Speak to Brian. He will probably be the one responding to an email quote.

Very, very good service. No hard sell on accessories.

Tom

Alexander McLeod September 25th, 2002 03:59 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Tom Christensen : Also, check with Zotz at www.zotzdigital.com as mentioned in the sponsors.

I just bought one last week from them. Speak to Brian. He will probably be the one responding to an email quote.

Very, very good service. No hard sell on accessories.

Tom -->>>

I'll go along with Tom on this. I've been communicating with Brian by email and next week I will be purchasing a GL-2 from Zotz. Brian certainly is a pleasure to work with; good service and no hard sell. He gives you straight answers.
Sandy

Bill Hardy September 28th, 2002 08:15 PM

Just purchased a GL2 online after looking closely at vendors. My choice?

http://resellerratings.com/seller1859.html

Looks like they get the nod since they rate a 10 and have rave reviews.

Chris Hurd September 29th, 2002 11:18 AM

The above link points to a box house, one of hundreds on the internet.

Once again, as owner of the board I reserve the right having the last say on this topic. The most important question we get here is "where to buy." I've done the homework for you and found some of the best, most highly reputable authorized dealers around, who are now DV Info Net site sponsors. Not only will they get you a good deal (at realistic prices, not the bait-n-switch nonsense lowball price, which is complete garbage). But they'll also support you after the sale, which no box house will do (a box house never wants to hear from you again, unless you want to buy something else). And also, the sponsors provide support to this site which keeps these wonderful boards running. So when you make your purchase from a DV Info Net site sponsor, not only are you getting a great deal, but you're also giving a little something back in return to the community here.

As I've done in the past, and as my standard operating procedure here, I'm now locking this thread. There's no need to debate the "where to buy" question any further; it's a very common issue which we've addressed here many times in the past... the site sponsors are always going to be your safest, most reliable choice, as customer testimony right here in this thread and many others has consistently proven. And you'll be surprised at the prices; they're usually within ten bucks or so of any other legitimate player on the block.

Hope this helps!