GL-2 not recognized by Windows XP at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old February 1st, 2005, 03:41 PM   #1
Tourist

GL-2 not recognized by Windows XP

I have recently purchased a GL-2. About a month ago, I built a system based on Windows Media Center Edition 2005. I plugged the camera into a 1394 port from a card I had installed and the camera worked fine. I have since sold that computer.

I have an older computer. to which I added a 1394/USB 2.0 card, and a brand new one that I have also added a 1394 card to. I have plugged the camera into the port, and it will not recognize. Both computers are PC's with Windows XP and have SP2 installed. I made sure the power on the GL2 was off before pluggin in.

I have rebooted several times. I have "removed hardware" several times on each box to get rid of and then reinstall the 1394 stuff. Still no go. On both systems, the hardware seems to be fine. 1394 comes up as an option, with no yellow exclamation points.

Any suggestions? It seems that it worked before on the other computer, but I didn't do anything else to it besides install the 1394 card.
Russell Clements is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2005, 03:58 PM   #2
Regular Crew

One obvious suggestion, if you haven't already thought of it -- have you tested those ports with other devices to see if they're really working? (I admit that it's a long shot, considering that you seem to be saying that the camera is not being recognized on two different computers. But it's probably worth checking.)
Jim OMalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2005, 04:32 PM   #3
Tourist

I had wondered about that, but I don't have (or know of) any other 1394 devices. I've heard of a 1394 based hard drive, but I don't have one. Are there other "cheap" devices I might try?

I wondered if rolling over the cable with a chair may have done something. I'm going to replace the cable tonight. I don't remember that I have rolled over it, but there's got to be something that has changed. I'm hoping it's not the camera.
Old February 1st, 2005, 04:43 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Other than another camera, I can't think of another 1394 device to try. Replacing the cable sounds like a good idea. At least you'll be able to rule out the cable as a possible source of your problem.
Jim OMalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2005, 05:13 AM   #5
RED Code Chef

Does it need to be recognized? What happens if you try to access
the device by capturing from it for example? Have you actually tried
to use it? It just might not show up.... (my XL1S did this as well)

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2005, 09:33 AM   #6
Tourist

The device does not show up at all. When I go to capture in one of the three different programs I've got, it doesn't show up as a "capture from" device.

When it did work on the computer that I sold, when I plugged in the camera, I would get a "Found New Hardware" and then the name of the camera would show up and the "Capture From" fields would be automatically populated. No part of this process is happening now.

I bought a replacement cable and will try the camera with that. I read a previous post on this site about Firewire problems and the cable was mentioned as frequently being the problem.

Thank you for your assistance. I'll post the results when I've tried it.
Old February 4th, 2005, 03:45 AM   #7
RED Code Chef

Cable is a prime suspect indeed. Otherwise you may have interrupt
conflicts or things like that as well. Have you tried moving the firewire
card around the system in different PCI slots? (I know the system
sees the card, but does not garantuee it will work as well!)

Old February 7th, 2005, 06:29 PM   #8
Regular Crew

I had a loose modem in my pc once. This somehow had the same effect on mine with other devices by messing with the mobo. Maybe a card was jarred loose such as the aforementioned pci slots or another while installing your card.
Jay Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2005, 01:08 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Hi,
I had the same problem when I used a cheapo firewirecard based on the VIA chip.

VIA has had compatibility issues with ASUS motherboards for quite some time and maybe others as well.

I bought a Hercules card (with a jog-shuttle) and have never had a problem since.
http://europe.hercules.com/showpage....K&p=64&b=1&f=1

I hear the Adaptech cards are good as well.

///Viktor
Old February 19th, 2005, 02:08 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Hi all,

Got the same problem here so didn't want start a new thread.

Got back from the store to buy another cable.

so now I have 2 cables , 3 ports (1 one sound card, 1 on mobo , 1 on expansion slot)

....and I have 2 firewire device , GL2 and a mp3 player.

Tried every combo imaginable and nothing gets recognised. looked at device manager and everything is good.

Read earlier about firewire port being blown-off , does it refer to the port at the back of the computer or the port on the device.

Thanks for any input

Phil

My website: www.production24fps.com/english.php
Philippe Gosselin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2005, 02:41 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Just wanted to add that when I plug the firewire cable in the port of the cam it says "Dv in" as soon as it is plugged in so it looks like the port on the cam is good..... that is at least reassuring :)

Thanks for your help

Old February 19th, 2005, 02:57 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Well, another addendum I guess,

The "dv in" indicator on the GL2 actually flickers , not constantly but from time to time with no particular pattern. Both cables and port were tried and the flickering remains.

Does it really matter or the indicator should always be constantly steady.

Thanks

Phil

Old February 20th, 2005, 05:12 AM   #13
RED Code Chef

I think that's a sign that the port is blown Philippe (on your cam).
Do a search for "DV IN" on this board (you can restrict the search
to just the GL1/2 forum!) and you will find a lot of threads on that
subject!

Old February 20th, 2005, 11:49 AM   #14
Major Player

For what it is worth, I have just changed (upgraded?) from Windows 2000 to Windows XP2 and my Canon XM1 is instantly recognized - as is my Sony GV D300E.

It does not matter whether I use the on-board 1394 port, or the one on my Matrox ediring card, or the ones on my Audigy audio card and break-out box.

I would venture that this supports the theory that the 1394 port on the camera is damaged - 1394 ports look very vulnerable.
Alan Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2005, 11:58 AM   #15
Regular Crew

That is what I feared. I found (thanks to Rob) other "dv in" topics that were a bit different , my dv in status would flash from time to time not all the time as I saw in another post.

One thing I didn't find though is how to prevent this from happening again. Obviously firewire is not so "hot swappable" as it claims otherwise none of this should've happen.

Going to try the cammy to the store that I bought it from just to make sure it isn't my computer/cable/port.

Keep you posted

Phil

PS: one thing that puzzles me though is that i got a new Asus A8V mobo a month ago and since then it looks like the firewire port on both my cammy and my mp3 player seemed to stop functionning. Might be a big coincidence or not. I wrote to asus just to make sure the voltage on my board is not too high. I am no electrical buff , here is a screenshot of the actual voltage , if any of you see something wrong please let me know.

Screenshot:

http://fapomatic.com/show.php?loc=7&f=voltage_1.jpg

Philippe Gosselin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders