XM2 purchase and questions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old February 8th, 2005, 12:57 AM   #1
New Boot

XM2 purchase and questions

Hello All,
for last 2 months, I am reading and reading huge amount of information from the net on which camcorder to purchase.
Finally, several weeks ago I have decided to go for XM2, in spite of the potential problem that I read (with the tape mechanism).
Now, after I am looking for a good price here, one of the major importers of photographics equipment, said that they are not selling them any more, since they are not in production any more.
Besides that, my friends are telling me NOT to buy it:
1. it is too big to carry it all the time
2. too expensive
3. smaller cameras (1CCD) today can provide the same quality

The purpose of the camera is to record family and then to do some simple editing and transfer to DVD (for grand parents abroad).

I also tried to find information about 'XM3', but besides rumors, nada...

Can you please tell me and help me with your experience?

thanks,
Sasha
Sasha Stojkovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2005, 01:02 AM   #2
Regular Crew

For your purpose IMHO XM2 is overkill. I suppose some smaller 3CCD Panasonic (GS120 or 200) or Sony (HC1000 or TRV940) cam or even Canon MVX3i would be great choice.
Old February 8th, 2005, 01:06 AM   #3
New Boot

XM2 overkill

Hi,

actually, I started with HC1000. But when I realized that it has touch screen and that all the options are via touch screen, I realized it was not for me.
I missed to mention, that I have an experience with video shooting, since I was using in my past Sony 3CCD camera (I don't remember the model) several years ago (I remember it was $15K) with Hi8 and we were doing some movies and TV broadcasting.
Anyway, I like to be in control of what I am doing, so if I compare it to stills cameras, I will never for for point-n-shoot, but rather DSLR. I still have my Minolta 7 with some fast prime lens.
Do you still think that XM2 is overkill?

Sasha
Old February 8th, 2005, 01:28 AM   #4
Trustee

Sasha,

Given that you like to be in control of all of the settings on your camera, then I would think that a camera such as the XM2 would be ideal for you. It's not that big (you can get much bigger cameras!) although to an average amateur it would probably seem so. Howwever, you seem to have far more experience.
While the XM2 is a very good camera for the price, it is now rather old (3 years??!) and I believe that Canon has a "significant" announcement due later this month, so it may be worth waiting a short while. I have no further info, but it may be that there will be a replacement fot the XM2 - or a new model altogether.

Robin
Robin Davies-Rollinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2005, 01:45 AM   #5
New Boot

replacement for XM2

Hi Robin,

I was thinking about that. Since our trip that I need camera for is at mid-end April, I can surely wait for the end of the month.
But, with the introduction of the new one, XM2 price should fall down. Further more, I am not sure how long it will take for local distributor to bring the new model to Israel though. Sometimes, it takes months and months to get all the import approvals....

Sasha
Old February 8th, 2005, 02:26 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Sorry Sasha, I had impression that you are more on amateur side. Now, when you said that you would like to have total control over picture, I can just say - go with the XM2. I am currently working with BetaSP and Beta SX big camcorders, but still enjoying to work with XM2. And dont worry about XM3 or whatewer Canon will name next camera cause it won't be out this year probably (this is already for Area51...). Well, what I like about XM2 is great picture, great controls and good portability. What I don't like is relative cheap plastic housing, compared to e.g. Sony PD150, but for 2000 Euros for new camera year ago it's just great. I've heard around about problems with zoom control and mechanism problems, but never experienced any of it (knock,knock). And camera has already around 400 hrs...Did I mention that I recorded two documentaries and few music videos with XM2 that were broadcasted national wide... It's that good and after year I am still happy with this cam. BTW, I am not payed by Canon for spreading good words :-)
Old February 8th, 2005, 02:35 AM   #7
New Boot

Hi Darko (i hvala),

in the mean time, I got some news. Whenever Canon is introducing new models, they are pushing old stock to their wholesalers to get rid of it. It is happening right now.
So this is even more supporting Robin's statement about new introductions this monht.
Anyway, I am waiting for the best price (next week).

Any other comments about the size and portability on trips?

Sasha
Old February 8th, 2005, 08:27 AM   #8
Old Boot

So, Robin becomes a Wrangler AND the next moment. . " . . and I believe that Canon has a "significant" announcement due later this month, . . . " - coincidence? I think not!

. . . Oh my my! . . "Bye bye bye Delilah - Why, why, why Delilah!" - Jones the Song - is it now? Look you singing like a bird? . . . But there again - "It's not unusual!" . . . .

Ah c'mon Robin .. you can tell me, no one else is listening! Trust me!

Grazie

. . best fun I've had on this Forum for a loooong time . . this IS gonna be the longest month - EVER! You thought the matte box thing was over . .HAHA! .. this is gonna run . . . !

* XM2 with integal XLRs?

* Low light upted

* ????

Tooooo excited !

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2005, 04:00 PM   #9
New Boot

i have finally decided to get it, so tomorrow is the order date. The delivery should be this week as well 8-)

Here, the prices of the batteries and charges are often 80% more due to local tax, so since i get 3year warranty on camera, I intend to get the camera locally, but accessories abroad.

Besides the BP-930 or 945 (or non-Canon may be?), I want to get a charge. Any experience with a non-Canon branded chargers? Any recommendations?

Thanks,
Sasha
Old February 14th, 2005, 02:14 PM   #10
Regular Crew

You can find on "old continent" Hama batteries which works like a charm. I paid about 50 euros for BP930 equivalent and it can run for about 3-4 hrs. Other third-party batteries are bit harder to find. I've also seen a charger in Hama stores, but since my original charger is working fine, didn't give too much attention to this one. BTW, best wishes for you, man, and lots of good pictures!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders