Epic Cam Underwater housing at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old February 8th, 2005, 12:57 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Epic Cam Underwater housing

Does anybody have any experience with the Epic Cam (pref. pro model) underwater housing for the GL1 or any other camera? I found a guy local to me who is selling one for nearly half the retail price. He's hurting for cash so he wants to sell it asap.

Unfortunately, I've read no reviews of this product yet. Does anybody have any experience or opinions on it? It's not an expensive underwater scuba diving housing or anything, but it's supposed to be nice for $369 (the guy is selling his for only $200). I'd like to use it for shooting surfing and possibly some snorkeling activities. Nothing too sophisticated.

Thanks in advance for any info.
www.xedgehosting.com
Jeffery Patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2005, 05:16 AM   #2
RED Code Chef

I've never heard anyone here talk about "Epic Cam". So you may
not get a response...

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2005, 03:01 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Nor have I until this week. I stopped by a local surf shop yesterday and they had them in stock. The construction seems very solid and they said they have been selling quite a few. They sell all of the models for $269 (the pro versions are $369 from Epic Cam's website).

I think I'm going to purchase the one from the guy locally, he said he would drop his price to $150 used since they are selling for cheaper in stores now.
www.xedgehosting.com
Jeffery Patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2005, 04:54 AM   #4
RED Code Chef

If you do, please let us know how it works and if it is good etc.! Thanks!!

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2005, 07:51 PM   #5

those things are garbage. i would not reccomend them to anyone using a prosumer cam - might be fine for your optura or something but i would not trust anything expensive inside those housings. they are poorly put together and i have personally seen 3 of them ruin or slightly ruin peoples cameras (a trv900, and 2 gl2's)

just a word of caution
Old February 19th, 2005, 01:22 AM   #6
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Jerry Ricciotti : those things are garbage. i would not reccomend them to anyone using a prosumer cam - might be fine for your optura or something but i would not trust anything expensive inside those housings. they are poorly put together and i have personally seen 3 of them ruin or slightly ruin peoples cameras (a trv900, and 2 gl2's)

just a word of caution -->>>

Thanks for the word of caution Jerry. I decided to pass on it anyway. I almost got a deal on an Ikelite on eBay the other day. It went for about $200 but needed arms. A local scuba shop said they can get the arms for me for fairly cheap, but then I realized that it doesn't support the GL1. Or at least it appears that way online.
www.xedgehosting.com
Jeffery Patch is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders