How does one go about waterproofing a camera? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old September 27th, 2002, 02:10 PM   #1
Matt Sabourin

How does one go about waterproofing a camera?

I'm actually just curious about this but the knowledge may come in handy for the future. About how much does it cost to do this? thanks.
Old September 27th, 2002, 03:30 PM   #2
Air China Pilot

Waterproofing as in for underwater or for rain?
Old September 27th, 2002, 05:22 PM   #3
Matt Sabourin

sorry, underwater filming. thanks.
Old September 28th, 2002, 04:45 AM   #4
Outer Circle

Then you need a case referred to as "under water housing." It's not cheap, and you can only go down several feet with it. But this depends on the case.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2002, 10:43 AM   #5
RED Code Chef

What camera do you want to put in it? Try using this forums
search feature to search for something like underwater. Your
bound to find some threads concercing this with links to products
and such (which aren't cheap!). The smaller the camera the
cheaper the underwater housing usually is.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2002, 04:49 PM   #6
Regular Crew

shooting in my world

Aha! I knew if I hung around long enough I would be useful around here.

My forte is shooting digital stills underwater. But I recently added an underwater video system to my collection of expensive toys. My system is rather low end, consisting of a Canon ZR-50 and an Ikelite housing. The housing costs approximately the same as the camera. A not too uncommon scenario. Amazing, since the housing is nothing more than a plastic or aluminum box compared to the thousands of bits and pieces that go into the camera. On the other hand, the housing manufacturer has to recoup his development expense from a few hundred units, while the camera manufacturer will sell tens if not hundreds of thousands of units.

Sony's PC-100 (150, etc) are a very popular camera to house. There are several housings available covering the gamut from reasonable (around $600) and klunky to expensive (a couple thousand) and fit like a glove. The Light and Motion (Mako I believe is the model name) fits in the second category and would be my personal choice for this camera.

The three chip camera of choice for housing is the Sony TRV-900. The housing makers cringe every time a camera gets re-developed. I am almost positive that the 900 housings will not fit the 950. Too many minor changes in the form factor and the control layout. This means that if you want to shoot underwater today, you better buy an obsolete camera. Of course, the good news on that front is that you can find the 900 at a bargain. Lots of used units, lots of leftover inventory and it has been so stable for so long that the housings for it are plentiful and full featured. Personally, I am waiting for next month's DEMA (Diving Equipment Manufacturer's Association) show to see if anyone unveils a housing for the GL-2. That may be the nudge that pushes me off the cliff. I would then sell my ZR-50 rig and get the GL-2.

EDIT NOTE: After I wrote this I did some investigating and some of the high end housings will accept either the 900 or 950. Others have separate models for each. Almost everyone has a housing ready for the 950.

If you are a die-hard XL-1 fan, yes, it can be housed. The housings are big, heavy, and outrageously expensive. It is not something the casual diver/videographer would choose.

The major players in the housing market are:

Amphibico - Aluminum housings with LANC controls
Light and Motion - Aluminum housings with combination of mechanical and LANC
Gates- Bulletproof design aluminum housings with mechanical controls
Ikelite- Clear acrylic housings. Mechanical controls. Bulky but price competitive and you can always see if the water is still on the outside.
Sea and Sea - Aluminum with mechanical controls.

A Google search on the names will take you to corporate sites and resellers as well.

Hope this helps. I will watch the thread if you want more detail
Old October 2nd, 2002, 01:01 AM   #7
Obstreperous Rex

Great post, Jeff -- much respect,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2002, 06:54 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Thanks Chris

Thanks Chris.

This morning I made a few updates to the post and put in a little description of each housing manufacturer.
Old October 2nd, 2002, 10:46 AM   #9
RED Code Chef

Here is another one:
http://www.ewa-marine.de/English/e-start.htm

Don't know how good they are.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2002, 11:05 AM   #10
Regular Crew

If you would trust your camera to a ziplock bag, then EWA is right for you.

That may be a little harsh. They have their place, I guess. They would be great on a canoeing trip to protect the camera or to shoot from the water up or even in the top 2 or 3 feet of water. Any deeper than that and the controls stop working or they all activate at once. They literally are a giant heavy duty ziploc with a lens port bonded in.
Old October 2nd, 2002, 06:34 PM   #11
Major Player

Hey Jeff,

That seems like allot of under water experience for Kansas city. Great post, thanks! I was a big time UW photographer years ago(even had a alum housing for a Pentax 6x7) and studied at Brooks Inst. under one of Cousteau divers.
I've been wanting to get the XL in a housing but it sounds like the 900 is the answer, especially since the thought of having all that salt water around my only pro cam makes me nervous. My 35mm & even the 6x7 showed some salt damage, even with the utmost care and being mechanical cameras they could handle it allot better. Much better to put a semi expendable cam in the water.

Chris
Chris Korrow is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders