DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   GL2 Low Light (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/3976-gl2-low-light.html)

Bill Hardy September 29th, 2002 06:44 AM

GL2 Low Light

I need to know if the low light capability of the GL2 is as good or better than the GL1. I own a GL1 and the low light of that cam is satisfactory for my needs. Not really interested how it compares to the VX2000 or Sony 950. Hope someone has some info for me. Thanks.

Barry Goyette September 29th, 2002 10:46 AM

Buddy

The lowlight capability of the gl2 is substantially better than the gl1, due in part to its slower shutter speeds and lower contrast. The image at maximum gain is substantially sharper, although a bit grainier. There is another thread going right now on this, and I will be posting a clip or two on that thread in the next day or so.

Barry

Bill Hardy September 29th, 2002 06:19 PM

Thanks Barry. I was concerned because after placing an order for the GL2 at BESTPRICEAUDIOVIDEO.COM I noticed some posts about the low light ability of the GL2 on this forum. As long as it meets or exceeds the GL1 I will be happy.

I can't tell you how much I appreciate your web page and short movie of Liz. I wonder if you can tell me about the compression of that movie? Any special codec, etc? Very nice, even at full screen.

Barry Goyette September 29th, 2002 08:50 PM

Buddy

You know...I'm not sure where the low light stuff got started about this camera...I might be the source of it, as I have talked about the lower sensitivity of the Cam, relative to the xl1s and PD150. And it does seem to reason that if the camera has lower sensitivity, then it will also have worse low light capabilities...I'm not sure that this is true, though. I haven't done a direct comparison yet, but I'm starting to have a hunch that the gl2 might come close to outperforming even the xl1s in low light situations.

Why...well only a guess, but the gl2 has slightly flatter gamma overall, and it does seem to hold more detail at the highlight and shadow ends of the curve. this indicates to me a straighter...more even gamma curve..which would translate into more potential data in the lowest light situations (and also at the higher end of the scale)...this fact would have the net effect of cancelling out, or overriding, the lower sensitivity of the chip.

What I have noticed, and this is important, is that when the camera is maxed out...f1.6 at 18db, the footage looks substantially sharper than what I've seen from my xl1s, or my gl1. It also has a sharper, more noticeable grain, but the result is in my opinion superior to the other two cameras.

Regarding the movie...I used the sorensen 3 codec included in final cut pro...it is very slow to encode, but as far as I'm concerned it is an amazing compression scheme....magic really....A friend of mine works for the company that makes Cleaner...and he's says the newest version is a ton faster.

Barry

Michael Pappas September 29th, 2002 10:23 PM

Some of the reasons that your seeing what appears to show the GL2 to be sharper, etc., then the XL1S is that it has gone form 250.000 pxls to 380.000 pxls ccd's. The new pixel shift process mixed with the Fluorite lens gives the GL2 some good power under the hood. There are new electronics too and maybe newer codec chips. Since my GL2 sits in it's box waiting to be returned to Promax I have not been able to run all the tests I would like to. But preliminary results show excellence in image quality.

Michael Pappas

Barry Goyette September 30th, 2002 12:27 AM

Buddy

Here is the footage I mentioned.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?s=&postid=24254#post24254

Barry

Bill Hardy September 30th, 2002 06:24 AM

Barry,
I notice in your short movie of Liz being prepped that in the last scene the cam that is taking the footage is not a GL2. What's going on? I presumed all of the footage taken in that movie was with a GL2, at least this is the impression I am given from the lower title that is under the movie.
Could it be that you were using the 3 cams; XL1, PD150 and GL2, and if so which scene is from the GL2?

Barry Goyette September 30th, 2002 08:15 AM

Buddy

What gave you that idea? Only had one camera with me that morning...the gl2. I'm Curious though, what is it that you are seeing that makes you think otherwise? (there is a way to tell the difference between the three cameras, but it is not in evidence here).

Bary

Barry Goyette September 30th, 2002 08:24 AM

I think I just figured it out...you're seeing the camera in the mirror...and are confused by all the extra hardware...its just the gl2 on an image2000 shoulder mount, plus the canon wd-58 wide angle adapter....and it still has the promo stickers on it.

Barry

Bill Hardy September 30th, 2002 09:51 AM

You are right; the stickers threw me off!

The guy from Best Price Audio Video just called a few minutes ago; he just verified my address and the item that I wanted which was the GL2. I was surprised that he made no attempt to sell any additional accessories whatsoever!!! He says the cam should arrive Wednesday and today is Monday. Hope everything goes as planned...I feel like a kid on Christmas eve. With this third sister cam to my other two GL1's taping my next wedding should be a snap, except perhaps I need a good wireless mike. My old WMSPro wireless sounds so muddy compared to the sound of my GL1 cams, and the new GL2 audio will probably sound even better. Any wireless suggestions under $400?

Sorry if I keep jumping from one topic to the next, hijacking my own thread.

Hmmm...Now which is better; Steadicam Jr. or Glidecam...

Aaron Nanto September 30th, 2002 02:25 PM

Well, I have the Glidecam 2000 Pro, and I love it...I've actually had it for a year now, but now that I got my GL2, I'm planning on using it a lot. This week I plan to shoot some tests with it at my local park but so far movements are smooth with my setup. (I'm also using the forearm brace to support the Glidecam).