xm2 vs pdx10 experience at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old March 2nd, 2005, 10:29 AM   #1
Regular Crew

xm2 vs pdx10 experience

Hi all,
I知 just back from a trip to Mauritania, Senegal and Mali. I was with two friends, one with a pdx10 and another with a xm1. I have a xm2. I was surprised to see that the footage of my xm2 is really bad looking compared to the one shot with the Sony and even with the one shot with the xm1. I知 talking about colours, xm2痴 are really cold, image sharpness, xm2痴 are too sharp even if i set the sharpness two notches down, well the image quality is not even comparable in my opinion. I loved the footage shot with the pdx10, it looks soft with reach warm colours.
Consider that:
- I had the video heads replaced just before leaving
- the footage was shot in the same conditions, in the same place at the same time
- I always have a Canon wide angle converter on my camera
- I知 not such a good DOP but I know how to use the manual settings of my camera and how to white balance.
Considero also that I知 quite worried about what to do with my xm2 but I keep on saying to myself that many people have it and like it. I liked it a lot too, sofar.
Do you think there might be something wrong with my xm2 or the pdx10 is just a better camera or what else?
Please help..
Pietro Jona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2005, 03:45 PM   #2
Major Player

I don't know about the PDX10, but I find it very strange that the footage captured with the XM2 is inferior to that of the XM1. After all the XM2 is just an upgraded model version with a few new features.

I have a GL2 and I think the images are great, although I haven't compared them with the PDX10.

Could you post some of the footage or at least still shots so we could form a better opinion?
Dave Ferdinand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2005, 05:52 PM   #3
Wrangler

I don't have any experience with the XM-2 (GL-2 here in the US), although I hear generally good things. I do have a strong bias towards the PDX-10 however since I've owned one for several years. Was the footage in question shot in 16:9 widescreen mode? The PDX-10 would definitely have a big advantage in that case since it can do full resolution 16:9 with its megapixel CCD's, vs cropped/stretched 16:9 on the XM-2. The PDX-10 does a terrific job in 16:9 mode. In 4:3 mode it's fine, but not as nice as my VX-2000.

Interesting comment regarding sharpness however. This may have something to do with the custom presets on both cameras. To my eye, the default sharpening on the PDX-10 is excessive, and I use a custom preset to reduce it to either the minimum or one click above.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2005, 02:27 AM   #4
Regular Crew

As I said, I used to be quite happy with my XM2 and I'm really surprised. Shooting conditions were not good at all, with the Harmattan (a wind full of sand and dust) blowing all the time, still the conditions were the same for the three of us. The footage shot with the PDX10 looks softer, with a richer tone scale and with warmer colours. I don't know what to think, I'll probably send the camera to Canon and get it checked, may be there's something wrong with the heads (is it possible?).
Too bad I cannot post any footage at the moment, I'll do it as soon as I can.
Thanks
pietro
Pietro Jona is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders